Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Albion Park Chainsaw/s Massacre

PJA
Having an Impact

Albion Park Chainsaw/s Massacre

We moved from Sutherland Shire NSW, which is really part of Greater Sydney, and downsized to Albion Park in the Illawarra Shire.

We were lucky enough to land ourselves in a townhouse that fronts a creek and a green belt which hides the serenity of the power lines quite cleverly and you are also hard placed to see, or even hear the nearby streets and houses on the other side of the bushland scrub.

9 dead trees just in this picture9 dead trees just in this pictureSomeone, of doubtful parentage, had copper nailed and ring barked a few of the once beautiful native gums. The vandalism did not destroy all of the bush setting but as you can see in the photo we have our fair share of dead trees, bordering the creek.

I counted more than 14 dead trees, and formulated a plan to replenish the area with 20 trees, significantly less dead ones, as well as cut down a few of the more prominent deceased ones.

The first thing to do, before cutting down a tree, even or perhaps, especially a dead one, is to watch the tree closely to see just who might be living in it. The tree centre photo with the table and bird feeding bowl is home to a nesting pair of Wood Ducks. So it stays.Happy FamilyHappy Family

The majority of the others are mostly home to black ants, and cockroaches, so what the heck, down they are to come.

Not all the dead trees are ugly either and may later house more interesting wildlife, but it must be remembered that they also pose a potential fire hazard with no cooling leaves to help staunch a flare up.

So off to Bunnings I go and buy the cheapest model Ryobi + one, 10" bar chainsaw; the one without the chain brake.

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

These may appear to be little more than hobby tools, but can still cut your leg clean off in seconds.

You have to oil the chain every minute or so, and if you follow the guides on how to fell a tree, you'll be as surprised as was I at how straightforward and easy it is.

I cut down 2 trees, and cut them up into fire wood blocks and cut up 2 more felled trees before the motor seized up. 

I went back to Bunnings who happily replaced the chainsaw and i went back and burnt the replacement one within the hour.

I phoned Ryobi, and explained that I had burnt out my second chainsaw, and that I read and understood the instructions.The representative immediately assured me that I could go back to Bunnings and get another...... But, says I, do you really want me to burn out several more of your chainsaws? Sooner or later either you or Bunnings are going to get a little uncomfortable with the turnover of stock and i am not going to remain happy having to run to Bunnings every hour to get a new one.

Burn out logBurn out log

Bunnings however, well they suggested that I buy the slightly more expensive 'brushless' model. 

Hang on what?

Well the one I had been burning out was driven by the type of motor that we learned about in school. (some 45 years ago). The motor consists of a set up involving electro magnets and permanent magnets on a spindle held in place with bushes, or brushes on either end. These dudes get hot due to the friction of the motor spinning. They also wear out, in time, due to the same friction. That's a poor thumbnail sketch of a brushed motor.

A brushless motor is kind of configured the other way around and is suspended in the middle of the magnets. No brushes to get hot, or wear out because there is very little friction.

So I buy the brushless one for nearly twice the original price and have since cut down every tree between here and Shellharbour and have a stack of fire wood that can be seen form the moon!

If you need a chainsaw, think first about what you are going to use it for.

The Brushed motor is an excellent tool for light to medium pruning. It can fell a tree with a 10" dia if needed. But be careful that is about its limit I would think.

The Brushless motor, well it's even excellenter . I have tested it on trees with 15" dia, and have split a log in half to make a foundation for a bridge. (More of that later). It, so far, has shown no signs of packing it in and takes pride of place in my + one collection.

royq
Having an Impact

Re: Albion Park Chainsaw/s Massacre

That looks like pretty hard timber @PJA, I'm not surprised you were burning out saws, it'll be great firewood though. If you're comfortable using a petrol saw they're definitely the way to go for the bigger and harder timber, reasonably cheap to hire for a day I think. I've got a makita electric chainsaw from Bunnings that I just use for green stuff around the house it has never let me down. Also got two big petrol saws and they'll cut that sort of timber for 12 hours stright without a complaint.

Cheers, Roy

PJA
Having an Impact

Petrol motors don't like me. the neighbour borrowed one and neither of us could get it going after 30 minutes. yes, it had petrol; yes we puhed the little button 6 times; yes we adjusted the choke; yes we ended up with blisters and yes we swore like sailors. 

Same thing happens to me with whipper snippers, and even the lawn mower gives me a few choice words before sparking into life.

I'd rather go the +ones, if only so as the parrot will keep a clean tongue.

royq
Having an Impact

Hahaha good one @PJA, stick to electric then :smile: Chainsaws can be tricky when they don't want to start. It sounds like you flooded it, let the choke off and start it with some throttle next time it does that.

Maybe make friends with a tree lopper so you've got someone to cut up the trees that will burn out your electric saw (or give me a yell I'm just up at Wollongong).

Roy

PJA
Having an Impact

Royq, 

I had to upgrade to an 'electric' Chainsaw. I was trying to cut a 400mm diameter log, I think it was made of case hardened steel, and the +one couldn't quite make the cut, so to speak.

I went to Bunnings for a bigger blade. The batteries only do 10" (whatever that is), I think they mean 250mm. Anyhow, there is a corded electric Ryobi for only $150 with a 16" blade.

Whooee, hot knife through butter!

I now have a collection of giant sized, disc shaped, stepping stones and have cleared another section for me to mow.

royq
Having an Impact

Good stuff @PJA, you'll find the corded electric gear has a lot more torque than battery equipment, there's just more power at their disposal. The sharpness of your chain will also increase the cutting ability of your saw. The photos look like seriously hard timber, I'm not surprised the other saw struggled. I blew the clutch on my 120cc Stihl last weekend so now I'm in for some expensive repairs :puzzled:

Roy

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects