Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Awning over back door - what materials?

Trying
Making a Splash

Awning over back door - what materials?

Talking about myself AND my she-shed ! Storm tonight,wind howling through the rivergums,heavy rain on my tin roof - just heaven !! Except that the internet became the outnet and the computer threw a hissy fit !  But Telstra to the rescue and we are now good to go...SO.....I need some ideas as to what materials and style should I choose to put an awning over my plain old wooden back door. It faces west and gets all the bad weather, plus there's a huge deciduous tree (30 mts) about 4 mts from the door. Not wanting to spend any more than I must, and not able to cut timber as no workshop now. Dilemma is my middle name. Cheers

AHoy
Having an Impact

Re: Awning over back door - what materials?

What's the aim of your project @Trying? How much protection does the door need?

Would something like this do?

2700_series_door_awning.jpg

Trying
Making a Splash

Hello @AHoy. Yes I think it might. I did think something more solid would be better but all I could find were sort of federation type in timber or eyelid canvas type,neither of which suit.  I'm looking to protect the door from heavy rain rather than sun. Plus in Autumn (now) I'd like to avoid the huge number of leaves from that glorious tree, sticking to the door when it rains then landing on my floor when I open the door.The awning in your photo looks solid enough and the pitch would let the leaves drop to the ground. It looks promising. Thank you.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Some other possibilities:

backdoor1.jpgbackdoor2.jpgbackdoor3.jpg

John1
Having an Impact

I'm sure Bunnings have pressed metal ones that look quite good or was that Masters.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I think this is the sort @John1 was thinking about

roofing/polycarbonate/accessories

Found using canopy as the search term.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Trying, just a quick question before I go to bed, is it the trunk that's 4M away, or the deciduous tree's closest foliage from your door?

It's the trunk that's approx 4 mts from my door,whereas the foliage is everywhere in all it's glorious colours including at, and stuck to, my back door and steps. Sleep tight @Andy_Mann Cheers.

Trying
Making a Splash

Thank you @Brad. My lack of IT experience sure does show ! I kept searching under awnings. I also did a lot of skulking around the the shelves of Bunnings to no avail. Turns out I wasn't blind after all - my local Bunnings is too small and doesn't stock these canopies. So it's 'special orders' for me. It's exactly what I'm looking for !! Thanks again. Thank you too @AHoy,Isobel,John 1 and Andy_Mann for your suggestions - very much appreciated. Cheers.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Many thanks @Brad for suggesting the Altamonte canopies, they'll look fantastic, & I'm rapt that @Trying is going to order them.

I must admit, I wasn't getting anywhere with any alternatives, so you've saved the day.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects