Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Awning over back door

DavidAlder
Finding My Feet

Awning over back door

Is it possible to attach 1.5m x 2m Grey/Clear Glasshaus Window Door Awning Door Canopy Outdoor Patio Sun Shield DIY to a Colorbond shed and if so how do they attach?  Will the attachments pull during a strong wind?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Awning over back door

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DavidAlder. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

Was there a particular style or type of awning that you were looking at? Although awnings such as the Altamonte 1200 x 700mm Havana Aluminium Composite Canopy With Plastic Brackets are designed to be fixed to a solid house wall, I believe you could attach them to a Colorbond shed. As the sheet steel used in a shed is relatively thin, you might need to construct some type of reinforcement to provide more rigidity to the wall and stop it flexing. This is most likely best done from the internal side of the wall, utilising any structural members available.

I'm sure our members would be keen to hear about the type of awning you wish to hang and see a picture of the internal structure of your Colorbond shed. This will allow them to provide some great solutions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DavidAlder
Finding My Feet

• DavidAlder_0-1620972113436.jpeg

Click on the image to open expanded view

Instahut DIY Window Door Awning Shade 1 x 2m - Brown

Many thanks for the details on the product you wish to install @DavidAlder. Could you also please show us what there is to work with on the internal side of the Colorbond wall? For something that size, you would have to install internal cross members as it is too large to fix directly to the sheeting itself. The internal member would allow you to bolt through the shed wall and spread the load out over a larger surface area. If simply pop-riveted the awning to the sheets, I am almost certain the fixings would pull out under strong winds.

Let me mention @TedBear to see if he has any thoughts.

Mitchell

It is a standard farm shed with three purloins on at the top; middle and bottom so fixing to the steel would go through the Clour Bond and into nothing behind the Colour Bond so the awning would need to a attach to the Colour Bond Steel.

@DavidAlder,

Is there any way you could fix it through the sheeting and into the top purlin?

Mitchell

I agree with @MitchellMc that screwing or rivetting through the sheets could result in a short-lived solution. I have attached a pull-out clothes line to a steel shed wall by putting bolts through into a wide board that runs the length of the unit behind the sheets, inside the shed (I also put a board outside the wall to attach the line to. A sandwich approach). That spread the pull-load over a wide area of the steel and has been working well for many years. I suggest that a similar approach may be suitable holding your awning. Use a board longer and wider than the awning. If it looks like bending, you could also attach the board to uprights that would run between, and attach to, the purlins to keep it all stiff enough.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects