Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Backyard fence makeover

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Backyard fence makeover

I sprayed our backyard fence on the weekend. We had some old sections of fence which didn't look great, especially near new boards. 

The spray gun was very quick and easy to use. I used Dulux RapidFinish.

Very happy with the results, although not sure we got the colour right. We were expecting more of a darker grey and less blue/purple tone. 

A couple of after shots:

IMG_1164.JPG

IMG_1163.JPG

Example of the fence before:

IMG_1157.JPG

Now we need to get planting in the garden!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Backyard fence makeover

Hi Jason.

How's your spray gun after nearly 5 years - still working well since you started this thread?

Would you recommend it? I'm thinking of painting corrugated iron surfaces.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dulux-rapidfinish-paint-spray-gun_p1560480

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry @Noyade, I actually borrowed the spray gun from a friend for this project so I don't own one. However, I would be happy to recommend it even for a single project as they save so much time and effort! I just talked my brother-in-law (who has started a significant home makeover) into a purchase and he says it's one of the best things he's ever bought. 

I trust other Workshop community members might be able to share their experiences with you. 

Jason

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks for that Jason.

I'll have a closer look at it next time I'm in the store.

Cheers.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade

I have the same Dulux RapidFinish paint spray gun and have been using it for a few years. I'd certainly recommend it, and I have been able to achieve some excellent finishes. Most recently, I sprayed using Dulux Aquanamel and was pleasantly surprised with the smoothness of coats. You can see the results in How to build a slimline spice rack

As with any sprayer, they require you to follow instructions on cleanup after use. The most common issue I have seen with any of them is clogged paint in the nozzle and feed line. It really is a quick cleanup procedure compared to brushes or rollers.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about the unit.

Mitchell

Moragajagga
Growing in Experience

Hey - what did you use for the fence extension?

Hi @Moragajagga,

I believe @Jason had the extensions made using decking timber fixed to vertical posts. They were constructed as panels so that they could be removed at a later date if needed. He mentions this on page 3 of this discussion. If you have more questions, I'm sure he'd be able to answer them for you.

If you search for fence extensions on Workshop, you see some more amazing projects our members have contributed.

Mitchell

deblange
Finding My Feet

Looks great. well done. And what is the name of the fence extension you used?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @deblange

Thanks for joining the discussion. The extensions were made of Merbau panels. They are custom built to fit into @Jason's pool fence. You could achieve a similar effect by using SpecRite 1800 x 902mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Alternating Slat Fence Panel and cutting them in half. If you're thinking of building a similar fence project, please make sure to post updates. I'm sure our members are keen to see your fence extension project.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects