Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best way to turn my yard area into a lawn? Ground is lumpy in areas.

john5
Growing in Experience

Best way to turn my yard area into a lawn? Ground is lumpy in areas.

20211109_083935_resized.jpg20211109_083927_resized.jpg20211109_084001_resized.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best way to turn my yard area into a lawn? Ground is lumpy in areas. Any advice would be helpful

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @john5. It's a pleasure to have you join us and many thanks for your question about creating a lawn.

How much sunlight does that shaded area get throughout the day? If it is permanently in shade, then you'll have great difficulty growing a lawn there and other suitable alternatives should be considered.

To begin the process of preparing this area for the lawn, I'd suggest you remove the rubble that appears to be sitting on top of your soil. I'm not sure if this is building material, but it looks like it's been built up quite high next to the wall. Once you have removed the material and levelled the yard, you can then aerate the soil and lay some topsoil over the area. Since this is quite a large area and the current soil looks rather poor, you might like to get a bulk delivery of topsoil, which will be a considerable cost saving.

You should find this step-by-step article useful: How to lay turf.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
john5
Growing in Experience

Re: Best way to turn my yard area into a lawn? Ground is lumpy in areas.

Thanks so much Mitchell. Your advice has been so helpful. Parts of the yard are rather shaded by the trees so it's good to know that I need to take that into account. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Best way to turn my yard area into a lawn? Ground is lumpy in areas.

It looks like the most significant part of this project might be the removal of the overburden and the levelling of the yard @john5. You might like to consider having a professional come in and remove the rubble to give you a flat surface to start with. That would certainly save you a lot of time.

Keep us updated and reach out if you need further assistance. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects