Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Building a deck over a concrete patio

davew89
Finding My Feet

Building a deck over a concrete patio

I'm planning on building a deck over the back patio using Ekodeck Plus from Bunnings. I'm planning on using Klevaklip Adjustable Joist Supports (https://www.klevaklip.com.au/Joist-Supports) to keep the joists off the concrete (if it rains in the right direction, the patio gets wet). I'm was thinking of using 90x45mm h3 treated pine for the joists - and this is where my confusion starts to set in. Is that appropriate to use for this type of deck? And then I'm unsure of how far apart the joist supports should be placed. The joists will be spaced a maximum of 450mm apart, but the supports holding them I'm unsure of. The Klevaklip website has the span distance with recommended and maximum distances, just unsure if that would take into account the heavier composite decking.

I've added some photos to help make some more sense of it. 

Thanks heaps for any help!

Dave

Current PatioCurrent PatioCurrent PatioCurrent PatioKlevaklip Joist base spansKlevaklip Joist base spansDimensionsDimensions

bruce93
Building a Reputation

Re: Building a deck over a concrete patio

Hi @davew89 

Great to see another person using the Klevaklip adjustable support for a deck. They are a great product!

90 X 45mm Treated Pine will be more than adequate for the use of joists.

Just remember that that's only a recommend span. If you were to go 1500mm between spacings I believe you would find it quite bouncy... I built a 35sm deck for my mum and I spaced them at 1000mm apart. I did only have merbau so not sure about the difference in weight of the composite decking. If you are concerned about it being a bit heavier you could always space them at 800mm apart. Just means you may need a few extra than if you spaced them at 1000mm.

I've attached some pictures for reference.

20190303_090720.jpg20190817_171807.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @davew89. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

It's great to see you've already received a helpful reply from @bruce93.

I've just made contact with the Ekodeck technical assistance team and they have let me know that no additional supports are required over and beyond what would be used on a standard timber deck. As long as you go with the recommended span (1000-1500) and have joists at 450mm centres the additional weight of the Ekodeck is not of concern. As Bruce has already indicated, I wouldn't advise going with 1500mm and would recommend either 1000mm or 1200mm.

We look forward to following along with your decking project and would encourage you to let us know if we can assist in any way.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks heaps @bruce93  and @MitchellMc  for your help! Sorry for my slow response, its been a mad house lately with a teething baby. That deck you built @bruce93 looks amazing. Hopefully I'll get mine to look as good as that one when I'm done. I suspect it'll take me a few weekends and afternoons throughout the next few months, but once I've made some progress, I'll put up some images. 

Thanks again!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects