Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Building a treehouse

Dan_M
Building a Reputation

Building a treehouse

Hi All,

well after binge-watching just about every episode of 'Treehouse Masters', buying the book, and also scouring Youtube for related video; I've been bitten by the treehouse bug !....
I'm lucky to have a block that is not only blessed with 2 x giant Tuart trees; but also a few others in a bit of a group down the back; away from neighbours, so time to get started !! I chose the rear grove of trees as it's a bit more private; and sidn't want to mess with the big ones.
If anyone wants to get the bug - check out treehouse masters on foxtel; or look at nelsontreehouse.com online :smile:

construction will be a platfrorm about 2.5m off the ground, half deck, half enclosed 'cubby'

here's a quick sketch plan and the trees as an idea - it will no doubt evolve as the buid gets underway.....IMG_0750.JPGInkedIMG_9985_LI.jpg

Dan_M
Building a Reputation

Re: I'm Building a Treehouse !

trimmed off the overhang, and it's looking pretty good :smile: - will get a tin of 'mission brown' to re-coat deck + patched holes

IMG_0706.JPG

Dan_M
Building a Reputation

now for the (form) ply flooring to go under cubby part. 19mm film ply. A chalk line was perfect for tracing where beams were underneath !

chalk line very handy for tracing joistschalk line very handy for tracing joistsIMG_0719.JPGview ain't half bad !view ain't half bad !all the flooring done !all the flooring done !quite a behemoth from underneath !quite a behemoth from underneath !flooring milestone - deserves celebration !flooring milestone - deserves celebration !

Dan_M
Building a Reputation

That's it for the moment folks - heading away for easter, so will get cracking on it when I return....
next is safety railing around deck, then the cubby which I plan to build out of EPS (expanded polystyrene sandwich) paneling - like coolroom paneling. it's one piece, cladded inside & out with thin steel sheet with 50mm foam sandwich - super strong and insulated. and will give me a nice inner & outer finish as well as insulation, without having to do a stud wall and then skin inside & outside. found a local place that has offcuts that should be perfect for my needs. will be cool in summer, and hopefully keep all the bugs & spiders out.
then a ships ladder to access, and maybe a secret hatch into the cubby part, firemans pole, and maybe a scramble net suspended off the side ! - also maybe a slide if I can find one the right size cheap enough :wink:
Hope you've enjoyed my journey so far ! :smile:
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Building a treehouse

Hi @Dan_M,

I have really enjoyed your treehouse updates and am sure that the rest of the Workshop community has too! 

Have you got back into it after the Easter break? 

It would be fantastic to see some more updates soon. 

Thanks again for sharing this wonderful project. 

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Matt_C
Just Starting Out

Where did you get the high tensile rod from?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Matt_C. Let me tag @Dan_M for you so he is alerted to your question about where to obtain the high tensile rods.

Welcome to the Workshop community. We're sure you'll get loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration for all your projects around the home and garden from our wonderful members. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. We'd love to learn more about your projects and plans. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dan_M
Building a Reputation

Hi @Matt_C,

I got it from a mob in WA called WA fasteners - I got 2 x 900mm lengths which I recall were about $50 each. they're M25 I think.

I cut each in half (450mm) and sunk each about 25cm into trunk.

I'll have to post some update pics of build progress - nearly finished :wink:

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

@Dan_M I'm new to Bunnings Workshop and wondering whether you had any more treehouse news?

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Building a treehouse

Hello @Dan_M 

I can already see that big smile from your child's face she is going to love this! I would love to put up a tree house but alas there are no big ones in my backyard. Looking forward to the finished product! Fantastic build!

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Dan_M
Building a Reputation

Re: Building a treehouse

well, been a while.... I had a hard year last year.... :unhappy: - won't go into it

anyway, a few comments has revealed a bit of interest in the build, so I'll throw up some updated pics :smile:

next was railings :smile:IMG_0917.JPG

Next - the cabin !!

I was lucky enough to score some composite panel from a local wholesaler who had some lengths of 40mm thick sandwiched foam with steel skin. they are interlocking panels used for sectional garage doors (great idea to have insulated garage roller door !- check out http://tigerbuildingsystems.com.au/  ) They had some panels that were water damaged and couldn't be sold for normal use, so I got them very cheap ! - they even cut it to length for me :smile:

(thanks bunno's for the courtesy trailer ;) )(thanks bunno's for the courtesy trailer :wink: )

plan was to mount it inside some sectional 'C' Aluminium channel....which would've been perfect....except there was no 40mm channel.... so I had to get 50mmx25mm.... got from Ulrich aluminium - who also cut to size :smile:  https://www.ullrich.com.au/

To make 40mm panels fit into 50mm channels....took a bit of thinking; but I discovered that DIY lengths of Flyscreen panel frame are a perfect 25mmx10mm, nice and light, and pretty cheap. This would be used to 'pack' in the panel so it was snug - worked perfectly, very neat, and left no nooks for spiders/nasties to set up camp....
C-channel was screwed to base and through into beams below. composite panels were glued and riveted into channel; and very cool 90o channel joins used for corners, and also for attaching roof later on

1st was the trickiest ! - imagine trying to balance this on your own, up a ladder with a decent breeze :)1st was the trickiest ! - imagine trying to balance this on your own, up a ladder with a decent breeze :smile:IMG_1917.JPGIMG_1927.JPGIMG_1929.JPGIMG_1931.JPGIMG_1954.JPGIMG_1956.JPG

gap left for door, and then onto roof ! - closing in the final panel was tricky....but it's all done and solid as a bunker !!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects