Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I revamp drawers to go outside?

moiradefran
Getting Established

Can I revamp drawers to go outside?

Can I revamp drawers to  go outside for a project 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: revamp

Hi @moiradefran,

Many thanks for your question.

Can you please provide more details about your drawer unit and what you plan to use it for so our members can assist? It would also be good to know whether the piece is going to be undercover or out in the elements. A photo or two of the drawers might also be helpful so we can see what you are working with. 

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
moiradefran
Getting Established

I have a chest of draws I want to convert into a see if I can revamp for storing my bbq tools cleaner's etc and my outdoor plates etc in. Just need to know can I sand down and paint with outdoor paint 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @moiradefran

It's great to hear that you're revamping these chest drawers for your bbq tools and plates. Sanding the drawers down and painting them with outdoor paint is possible, however, please keep in mind that if the drawer cabinet is exposed to full rain and sunshine the paint will not be enough to protect it from the elements. Indoor furniture is generally built with untreated timber and is designed to stay inside. Extended exposure will quickly deteriorate the timber material and it will also be subject to insect attack. 

If the drawer cabinet is in a covered area it will possibly survive for a time but eventually, heavy moisture exposure will damage the timber itself. Would it be possible for you to post a picture of where you are planning on positioning the drawer cabinet? We can then make recommendations on the best way to protect your drawer cabinet.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

moiradefran
Getting Established

Thanks Eric looks like will be building one 

No worries @moiradefran. Let us know if you need a hand. 

Jason

moiradefran
Getting Established

Thank you 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects