Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can i install artificial turf over SMAI heavy duty gym mats for an outdoor play area?

kellgywicr
Just Starting Out

Can i install artificial turf over SMAI heavy duty gym mats for an outdoor play area?

I’m hoping someone can help me. I’m trying to create an outdoor play area for my toddler and was playing with the idea of using some gym mats with artificial grass over the top. The area is currently a concrete slab and I’m hoping to create a shock absorbing surface for her to play on. I don’t know whether this would work or not and how to go about it. Would I need to do something for water drainage as well?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can i install artificial turf over SMAI heavy duty gym mats (for outdoor play area)

Hi @kellygwicr,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us.

Using the gym mats as an underlay for artificial turf would be great for creating a soft play environment, however you should be wary of installing artificial grass over concrete as there is very little you can do in terms of drainage over a concrete slab. With any rain, you would have sitting water that would promote mould growth.

Might I suggest keeping things non-permanent, that way you can move and clean everything where necessary. You could anchor things down using Brutus 360 x 850mm Sand Bag filled with Richgro 20kg Play Sand.

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects