Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you put mesh and pebbles over a drainage pit?

nagumuthu
Making a Splash

Can you put mesh and pebbles over a drainage pit?

Hello Mate,

Prepared front yard bny removing weeds and pouring Pebbles (40mm) and wondering on a mesh to cover the drainage pit. Is it allowed to place a mesh above the drainage pit and place pebbles over the mesh.

nagumuthu_0-1666384638655.png

Can you please recommend a suitable mesh from Bunnings.

Many thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Mesh for Drainage Pit

Hi @nagumuthu,

From conversations I've had with local water authorities, if you intend to place anything over a water authority-owned stormwater pit, you first must obtain permission from them. Do you know if this is a private pit, or does an authority own it? You'd likely be able to find out by contacting the water authority in your area or checking your house and property plans. If an authority owns it, there is likely an easement shown on plans providing access.

The reason for not being able to cover the pit is that in the event of an emergency, the authority must be able to locate and access the pit without impediment. Also, if this pit acts as a collection point for surface water runoff, adding a mesh or pebbles over it restricts the flow of water into the pit. 

If you contact your local water authority and establish that you can cover it with your mesh and pebbles, I suggest using something like shadecloth, as it will still allow some water to drain into the pit. Please be advised that the mesh will need to be cleaned of sediment regularly so it doesn't clog up entirely. My main concern is that if you block that pit and have a torrential downpour of rain, the water will have nowhere to go. If it decides to enter your or the neighbour's home, there would be a question of liability.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello @MitchellMc,

Thanks for sharing your input.

You meant local water authority as Sydney Water ?

Rest of your concerns are fully valid for its purpose. Thanks for the recommendation (shadecloth) in case we are going for it.

Best regards

Muthu

Sydney Water would be the right people to speak with Muthu (@nagumuthu). 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects