Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you use Davco render over a pizza oven?

becxy05
Growing in Experience

Can you use Davco render over a pizza oven?

We have an existing pizza oven, it already has a peach plaster over the top. We have rendered the pizza oven base with Davco off white render and actually really like the colour. Originally we were going to paint over the top of the render so the oven matched the base. We are now wondering if we can render over the top of the oven using the Davco render to change the colour of the oven but not have to paint everything. I know the render isn’t heat resistant but I’m worried the heat resistant render will be a different colour. Can we just render using the Davco render? Thank you! 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Can you use Davco render over a pizza oven?

Hi @becxy05,

Thank you for asking about rendering your pizza oven, really great question that I am sure others will benefit the answer from. Our resident DIY champ @EricL will be on later to give his suggestions but in the meantime, let me tag members @cadsman and @TedBear to check if they have any advice. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: rendering over a pizza oven

Hello @becxy05

Your pizza oven operates under extreme temperatures, so it's important that you use materials that are rated for high-temperature use. I suggest using Lanko 5kg 156 High-Temperature Mortar, it is ideal for pizza ovens, fireplaces and barbecues. It is heat resistant up to 1000°C. It is ready to mix and can be used for new constructions or for patching. Unfortunately, the mortar comes in a light grey colour and not off-white. 

I don't recommend using the Davco off-white render as it is not rated for high-temperature use and will probably deteriorate in the intense heat of the oven.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

becxy05
Growing in Experience

Thank you,

And this is still the case even though the oven already has a render on it? 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

You can add some white oxide to the Lanko mortar.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @becxy05

If the render on the oven was a high-temperature mortar then it's ok to render it with more high-temperature mortar. However, if the current render is not high-temperature rated, I don't recommend rendering over it.  As I've mentioned earlier if it's not rated for high-temperature use it will deteriorate quickly due to the high temperature of the oven. 

Eric

becxy05
Growing in Experience

Thank you, we bought the pizza oven from bunnings and it was rendered already- so hopefully it was rendered with a heat render. 
thanks so much for your help! 

becxy05
Growing in Experience

Thanks all,

After we went in to bunnings and spoke to another team member as well, we had a different idea and decided to colour match with paint first. Heat paint around the base and opening. We still need to sand back and repaint the door as that was badly affected by rust but we are happy with the results. 
thank you again! 

80377403-1BD1-4EC6-8E97-8B04C1B40785.png

C7C32063-6848-48F4-A3D6-E03D9A603197.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Awesome work, @becxy05; that looks wonderful!

Be sure to post a picture of the first pizza that comes out of it; my mouth is already drooling.

Thanks for the update.

Mitchell

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Amazing job @becxy05! Your pizza oven looks bright and fresh. 

I am with @MitchellMc we need pizza photos to admire (or drool over). 

Katie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects