Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Clear gloss finish for fibre cement tabletop

Manley
Getting Established

Clear gloss finish for fibre cement tabletop

Making an outdoor table for a large, covered and sheltered deck.

Would like a concrete look finish and have seen examples using fibre cement sheeting.

Looking for advice for how to finish/seal the fibre cement sheets that would give a clear gloss finish whilst maintaining the cement sheet look.

See pic for example

IMG_20210927_115945.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Clear gloss finish for fibre cement tabletop

Hello @Manley

Thank you for sharing your question about putting on a clear gloss finish on top of the Fibre cement sheeting.

I recommend using the Crommelin 4L Gloss DiamondCoat Paving And Concrete Sealer. It is one of the most common sealers used on pathways, pavers, and cement walkways. However, you would need to find out if there were other steps taken before the sealer was placed on top of the fibre cement. If the sealer is placed on top of the Fibre cement sheeting as is, it will seal it. But it will not give you a flawless flat surface. This is because the Fibre cement sheet itself is not finished perfectly flat.

There are a few finishes to choose from in the Crommelin Sealing system. I suggest visiting your local store and seeing if one of them is to your liking. This sounds like a fantastic outdoor project. Any updates you can provide while building it would be much appreciated.

Let me tag our experienced members @TedBear and @Brad for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Clear gloss finish for fibre cement tabletop

@Manley 

I would look at a primer first then the sealing topcoat. Liquidstone range have a clear primer and clear top coat.

One of the 2 part epoxies may give a smoother finish with a higher gloss, it is just an educated guess though. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects