Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Compacted sand flooring pad for outdoor gym

Rileyb
Just Starting Out

Compacted sand flooring pad for outdoor gym

Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I want a raised pad and shelter outside to place a gym. I don't want to spend to much on a concrete slab so I was thinking a compacted sand slab with gym tiles on top. Heres a quick photo of the space. Any advice would be great.

IMG_20211016_073949_371.jpg

Thanks. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Compacted sand flooring pad

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Rileyb. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about building a flooring pad.

How high do you need the platform to be? Treated pine sleepers could be dug into the ground so they finish at the correct height. Their corners can be secured with Whites Outdoor 450mm Heavy Duty Steel Corner Stake Sleeper Pegs or joined with a Whites Outdoor 450mm Heavy Duty Steel Flat Stake Sleeper Peg. This would create your frame, which will hold the sand in position.

Sand would be an option, though you would likely get better compaction from Bastion 20kg Aggregate Crusher Dust. Alternatively, to keep your project on a budget, you might like to order a 1 Tonne Loose Crusher Dust delivery. We also have some reasonably priced 400 x 400 x 42mm Steel Concrete Pavers, but that really depends on the size of the pad you wish to create and how many you'd need.

You'll find the Trojan 205mm Tamper a convenient tool to use on a smaller area for compaction.

I'd recommend the Ultimate Flooring 1 x 1m Rubber Gym Tile over the foam mats for exterior use as they'll hold up better to wear are UV damage. They are black though, so you'd need to consider the location and how hot they'd get in direct sunlight.

Let me mention @TedBear to see if he has any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects