Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Connect a hose/tubing to a PVC pipe

bm
Cultivating a Following

Connect a hose/tubing to a PVC pipe

Hi 

I have a 90mm PVC down pipe , (see attached) , As you can see rainwater would just goes waste as the  end of  the pipe has been left open.  Now i am looking at options as to how i can extend the pipe so the water can be put to some use .  The issue is because of space constraints and other things lying in the vicinity , i am less inclined to use PVC to extend this pipe. I am looking for something 'flexible' - a hose that can be used to extend the PVC pipe . Is there a  funnel/adaptor that would connect to the open end of the PVC and the other end of the funnel , goes into a hose/tubing? If i can do that, then the flexible hose can easily be placed through the narrow gaps and around the existing stuff lying there.  

Any suggestions, welcome.  Thanks pvc1.jpg

thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Connect a hose/tubing to a PVC pipe

Hi @bm,

I'd encourage you to think about installing something like the Rain Harvesting 90mm Fire Plug Downpipe. This will allow you to connect the thinner flexible pipe you want but also give you the option to switch it to flow onto the ground. The problem with connecting a smaller flexible pipe to the end is in heavy rains the smaller pipe will not be able to cope with the amount of water. It will then backfill up the downpipe and start overflowing your gutters.

What size pipe did you want to connect to the bottom?

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bm
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc  for this . I will look further onto the Fire Plug option. 

In terms of pipesizes, anything less than 50 mm is what i am after since that's the smallest gap in the planned path.  

the standard hoses are 12mm and 18 mm?

Yes, thanks for raising the potential backfill problem in case of a smaller pipe.  Actually,  this part of the house is 'disconnected' from the main house - so the gutter length feeding this down pipe is much shorter. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@bm,

Standard garden hoses are 12mm and 18mm. Flexible hose wise you have Aqua Systems 22mm x 10m Grey Water Diverter Hose and Vinidex 50mm x 20m Unslotted Diverter Hose. You'll most likely be able to fit the 22mm hose onto the fireplug diverter. For the 50mm, if that will fit, you would need to attach it to the bottom of your downpipe. If you take your downpipe size into a Bunnings store I trust they'll be able to find a couple of fittings which will allow it to connect.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects