Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cooking via Hanging - check this out

MoonshineBen
Making a Splash

Cooking via Hanging - check this out

Hey all, needed to share these highlights from the weekend. I was lucky enough to be representing Heat Beads at Meatstock Melbourne over the weekend. For two days we got to cook on the Meat Wagon, a custom-built trailer with an insulated bed that we filled with charcoal and hung dozens of cuts of meat - lamb, beef, pork, chicken, duck, and even some fruit and veg like pineapple, capsicums, and eggplants, with the goal of showing how versatile they can be. We cooked on the chains, on the Parilla, the spit, and even an Asado cross.

So. Much. Meat. A carnivore's dream

All the cutsAll the cutssearing off our tomahwakssearing off our tomahwaksCustom spitCustom spitAsado crossAsado cross

Happiness is a full smoker - moonshinebbq.com.au
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cooking via Hanging - check this out

Hello @MoonshineBen 

What an awesome display of meat and cookout possibilities. It must have been so hot near that trailer. Did you use fans and blowers to control the heat? How big was that trailer? I know it's a lot of questions, but any extra information you can share about the Meat Wagon would be much appreciated. I'm sure our members would be keen to know how you start up such a huge cooking area. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Cooking via Hanging - check this out

The trailer itself was 6x10 and was fire insulated along the base and sides to prevent any damage to the underside and the tyres. We used about 30 kg of charcoal to start it (a mix of briquettes and lump) with three chimneys of lit lump to start, and then topped up with lump charcoal as the day went on. As things needed more heat or less heat, we could raise them, lower them and move coals from one spot to another with our fire shovel to get the best spread of heat. No blowers or fans, plenty of open-air to give it oxygen!

Happiness is a full smoker - moonshinebbq.com.au

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects