Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. Dog Kennel

aly
Making a Splash

D.I.Y. Dog Kennel

Hi All,

I thought I’d share a DIY dog kennel project we did some years ago.

Discovering how expensive large dog kennels are and realising many of the necessary materials to build our own were readily available, we decided to make a kennel for our family pup.

We grabbed an old wooden fruit bin off our farm which proved perfect for the base and frame of the kennel. We simply cut a rectangular door on one of the side panels keeping in mind how much our pup would grow and the space he’d need to easily enter and exit. Next, we nailed down some old carpet offcuts to the floor of the bin to provide some warmth in the winter months. Knowing too well that dogs love to chew, we opted for this addition rather than relying on a foam bed which would most likely get torn up! We then fixed some old sheet iron onto the top of the bin for roofing.

Here’s a picture of our kennel...

Dog Ken

Would love to hear about other pet related projects!

Joker
Having an Impact

Re: DIY Dog Kennel

This is impressive - includes plumbing!

doghouse.png

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Dog box

Hound

3rd generation to have used it.

Baretta11
Becoming a Leader

Mille & Rubes.JPGMy dog Ruby, shown above sleeping with my kittenTille some years ago, lives outside but sleeps in a section on the covered in veranda. She has one of those day beds that are off the ground.
In winter, she has a single bed doona folded in half, on top of that a heated throw from target, (much cheaper than a dog one) anyway, on top of that is a woolen blanket that is washed every week and if weather permits, she is also washed weekly. Over the top of the bed, I fashioned two shoe laces at either end of the bed up on the railing and I tie a blanket at each end that effectively makes a tent over the bed and I tuck the excess blanket under the bed to prevent a draft from the timber veranda.

Picture below is Ruby's heeler cross pups, just love this photo and thought I'd share it.

Last photo, Ruby.Pixie, Cesse, Kira, Obe & Saali 3 Weeks.JPG

RUBY.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bunnings has a new video and plans for a D.I.Y. dog kennel for those looking to give their pooch a new home. Looks like a great little project.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Saw this on Facebook. Not a bad idea! An underground dog house that uses geothermal energy to keep the dog cool in the summer and warm in winter.

Wish my lawn was as good as in the video too!

@Kermit

Outstanding!!

I love it my fur baby has the same name and I was just wondering if it was built out of 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Blueychick79. It's sensational to have you join us and awesome to see you jump straight into the discussion.

If you'd like to mention someone, so they are alerted to your question, you can add an @ symbol before their username. That way ,they'll get a notification ,and we'll know who you're responding to.

Please feel free to ask any questions you have about building your own dog bed, as I trust our helpful members will be eager to assist. I look forward to hearing about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Reach out anytime you need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects