Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y leaf cover for kidney-shaped pool

Carmel1955
Having an Impact

D.I.Y leaf cover for kidney-shaped pool

Needs the extra shade saleNeeds the extra shade sale

The "offending trees"The "offending trees"

Very few leaves under coverVery few leaves under coverOvernight without coverOvernight without cover20230115_090707.jpgDiy leaf cover for Kidney Shaped Pool.

Frustrated with cleaning leaves from pool bottom...only to go inside and return to same job 30 mins later!!!

Old pool surrounded by trees!!!  Did some googling on pool covers and rollers but a rather  expensive exercise but noticed they had a h/d shade cloth version (very expensive).  Light bulb moment!!!

Had a leftover shade sail (2,1 x 3.9 coolooroo 90 percent shade) and decided to experiment with it in pool....floats and rain flows through..catches leaves before sinking to the bottom of the pool.

Bought another couple at $69 each and secured together as a test run.  Collects leaves on top and much easier to remove with pool scoop as you are not dragging through deep water..leaves can even be swept to side of shade cloth and then scooped.   Still have easy access around edges and below  for the "sinkers".  Will add another sail to end of pool on my next outing to Bunnings.

Cover can be easily pulled up and away onto deck to allow for swimming...as they are connected together there is not as much drag as a long single piece. Will eventually attach straps as joiners rather than the current ties that come with sails.

Photos show the amount of leaves collected on bottom of pool just overnight..not even windy and amount on pool cover with minimal 

drop under cover edges.

Hope this gives some inspiration ..cheers everyone....

PS.. may even add some pool noodles to each end for easy manipulation...will post updates later 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: D.I.Y leaf cover for kidney-shaped pool

Thanks for sharing @Carmel1955. Looks like a stunning spot with beautiful trees. Great to see you have come up with a low-cost solution for the leaves.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Carmel1955
Having an Impact

working better than I thought!!

30 min job now reduced to 10...

20230122_090331.jpg

 brush leaves to edges for easy collection

20230122_092226.jpg

 overlap shade sails with cable ties

thanks Jason..

Great idea @Carmel1955!

I have the same problem with my pool, as huge Blue Gums surround me. Even on a non-windy day, a leaf would hit the surface every 30 secs. The filter basket would easily fill in a day. I'm currently using a Polytuf 6.1 x 9.1m Extra Heavy Duty D-Ring Tarpaulin, which just about covers my kidney-shaped pool. However, not only is it quite heavy, but when it rains, the water pools on the surface, and if the side sinks, it dumps the debris into the pool. I love your idea and would consider purchasing shadecloth per metre and sewing a kidney-shaped cover for my pool. It sounds like a great solution.

The only thing I'm fond of with the tarp is that I face it black side up, and it does an amazing job at heating the water. In fact, on a hot day, when I pull it back, the top 30cm of water in the pool is like a hot bathtub. Once it mixes with the rest of the water, the temp of the pool is raised a few degrees above what it would usually be. I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to cold water, so the heating benefit of the tarp was a nice surprise.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell...thanks for the comment....we have the same problem as the tarp with the fitted blue bubble solar cover that we have been using in winter..when it rains everything pools and turns into a mess...this way the water just flows through.

If you go down the fitted shade cloth track make sure to buy heavy duty cloth....have tested basic cloth in water and moves too much and will sink with leaves.  Might still buy another couple of pre made shade cloths and cut to size for the edges....quiet cost effective as I think the shade cloth is over $20 per metre...you will loose the benefit of warm water though...maybe buy a wetsuit!!! Ha ha  cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects