Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. outdoor dining setting

GeoffB
Having an Impact

D.I.Y. outdoor dining setting

This is the first bespoke full out door dinning setting I have made since I lived in Darwin over 40 years ago.

For the last year or so I have re-built my skills by making a bigger project each time.

I posted the table about a month ago when I finished it.

The table and chairs are all made from recycled timber and finished with marine grade varnish from the big green shed. 

The chairs are based on a design I saw in a wood working magazine but with a few modifications.

The photo I worked from is below.

All of the timber hade to be cut to size, then planed and sanded before assembly and applying the finish.

IMG_1555.JPG

IMG_1557.JPGChair.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Out door dinning setting

That's some stunning work you've achieved there, @GeoffB. I trust you're really proud of how it turned out.

How many hours would you estimate you've spent on it? It looks really solid, and no doubt, will last a lifetime. I love the classic design you've chosen as well. Do you happen to have any pictures of the construction stage?

Many thanks for sharing this fantastic project, as I'm sure it will inspire many of our members.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Out door dinning setting

Please find the attached photos taken during the assembly of the chairs.

Seat & back supportSeat & back supportSeat slatsSeat slatsFrame assemblyFrame assemblySlat installationSlat installationChair ready ready for staining and marine grade varnish.Chair ready ready for staining and marine grade varnish.

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: D.I.Y outdoor dining setting

Fantastic @GeoffB. Thanks for sharing those extra images so our community members can see how you went about putting this together.

You've done a brilliant job with this chair design. What inspired you to get back into tackling bigger projects again?

Stevie

What inspired me was a request from one of my sons for for a folding out door table.

After that I was looking to upgrade my own outdoor setting from the glass top aluminium setting of 10 years ago or so.

There are so many timber chair types that are bulky and square looking. but when I saw a photo of the type I have built and decided to try it 

It was also something to go with the cocktail trollies I had built for some friends and myself.

I started planning the table and chairs and gathered the materials and started work.

I built the table first then the six chairs as the bulk of the work is in the chairs i.e. sawing all the timber to to size the dressing the timber and sanding it then doing the detail cutting so it can be assembled and finish applied.

The project took me a few weeks to complete.

Geoff

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Lovely to hear more of the background to this project @GeoffB. Thanks for sharing.

You're very talented so it's great to hear that you're busy with builds for yourself as well as friends and family.

Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Stevie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects