Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY Outdoor Fireplace install - chimney/flue

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

DIY Outdoor Fireplace install - chimney/flue

I'm installing an outdoor fireplace in my alfresco area and need to run the chimney flue through the roofspace above. There's about 1.6m of roof space.

I understand it should have a triple sleeve set up however I'm wondering if anyone has any experience installing one themselves and if you think it's really necessary. Given there's no insulation in that area of the roof space (ie. nothing flammable) I don't see the need for triple sleeve.

Main concern is, the price to do it triple sleeve is about $800 while single sleeve is about $150-200. If I was concerned about safety/flammable I wouldn't question the price, but I think it's overkill in this situation.

TIA

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

Re: DIY Outdoor Fireplace install - chimney/flue

@ProjectPete

Pete, I would install the triple just for peace of mind.  What are your trusses and battons made of?  If timber, they will absorb heat.  If metal, they will transfer heat. Also , roof spaces invariably fill up with dust and other nasties that are flamable.  Install is easier if you have a second set of hands.  For the sake of $600 extra, put the triple in.

Oh, where are you buying from as I can't seem to get a new triple one less than 1k.

I just had a quick look through the Building Code of Australia.  Being such a large document, I don't have time to continue looking.  Will have a look later.

@Jason

Is there somehow members can upload documents for perusal/download?  I have the full version of the BCA2015 that I can share.

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

@ProjectPete

First coat not dry enough yet so had a better look.

Found it.

BCA Vol 2 Part 2.3

F2.3.3 Heating appliances
Heating appliances using controlled combustion located in a building are to be installed in a way which reduces the likelihood of—
(a)  fire spreading beyond the appliance; and
(b)  smoke from the appliance entering the building.

P2.3.3 Heating appliances
A heating appliance and its associated components within a building, including an open fireplace, chimney, or the like, must be installed—
(a)  to withstand the temperatures likely to be generated by the appliance; and
(b)  so that it does not raise the temperature of any building element to a level that would adversely affect the element’s physical or mechanical properties or function; and
(c)  so that hot products of combustion will not—
(i)  escape through the walls of the associated components; and
(ii)  discharge in a position that will cause fire to spread to nearby combustible materials or allow smoke to penetrate through nearby windows, ventilation inlets, or the like in the building containing the heating appliance.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks for the info @darylhewston and the time/effort involved getting the building standards.

Just waiting on a quuote for my specific needs for a triple sleeve now. Standard kits are either too small or too big so will see how i go.
Planning to install in next couple weeks
----------
Handy and helpful

@darylhewston

Our platform does support attachments, but we've currently got the functionality switched off as there are security risks from letting members share files and we suspect the demand would be limited. We welcome everyone's feedback. If enough members request the feature we are happy to consider implementing it. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I think it'd be handy @Jason but understand the risk. Maybe there's an option to have the files submitted for review/scanning first, then have them uploaded by an admin and the contributor is tagged/recognised in the post...?
----------
Handy and helpful

Happy to consider many different options @ProjectPete, but mostly want to understand if there's a demand or need. With most information, I suspect that a link is all that is usually needed. 

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @ProjectPete,

I'm curious where you ended up with this project. Any progress?

Jason

It's on hold @Jason as we've changed our original plan for the alfresco makeover. There'll still be a fire place, but it might just be a different one and we use the original one we bought for a different spot in the back yard. Thanks for checking in though!

----------
Handy and helpful

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects