Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY or Pro fix for termite damage?

Chris_T
Having an Impact

DIY or Pro fix for termite damage?

Hi

I recently had a termite inspection and the inspector tore up this corner of the house. This is historical damage, probably >5 years old, and I've had termite treatment done and updated regularly, so definitely free of ongoing damage. 

However, I now have this damage on this corner of the house which is now exposed to the elements. My instinct is to clean out the damaged areas, builders bog and repaint for aesthetics and protection from the elements but not sure if there is a potential for additional problems and I should get someone to replace the whole piece of wood?

Cheer

Chris

IMG_6846 copy.jpgIMG_6845 copy.jpgIMG_6847 copy.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY or Pro fix for termite damage?

Hello @Chris_T

Thank you for sharing your question about fixing termite damage outside your home.

If you have the tools and the time to fix this part of the house, I often subscribe to the D.I.Y. philosophy. I recommend playing it safe and removing the damaged panel and replacing it with a new one. Removing the panel will also allow you to inspect that corner of the house and see if there is any further infestation. To get the same sized panel, I suggest bringing a part of it to the store for comparison. 

However, if you feel that it is outside your skill set and would take too much of your time, I suggest engaging the services of a professional to replace the panel. Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing the panel fixed and painted.

Let me tag our experienced members @Brad and @LePallet for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects