Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Deck and gazebo project

womby36
Building a Reputation

Deck and gazebo project

cabana.pngI'm a newbie attempting a deck. Above are my basic plans and rough costings.I

'm a bit overwhelmed at the choice of timber for the joists. I plan to use Tuffblocks for the foundations (the 'dots' in my diagram).

The deck is 3400 x 4400 in order to hold a 3000 x 4000 Mimosa Lava Portsea gazebo fixed on the top. So I needed to consider 2 things - hiding the Tuffblocks (they are 300mm diameter - I've drawn the 4 corner ones in as circles) AND making sure the Gazebo poles sit over the corner foundations.

So the deck extends a total of 200mm out each side (with noggins to stablise) and I've sourced all materials - but what timber should I use? It sits in the tuffblocks, has to be at least 35mm depth. Ideally I'd rather make them 3400mm long (so not buy 3000mm lengths and have to join them). The deck will be made above an existing brick paving area with hte joists sitting 90mm above ground.

Help!

womby36_0-1638248117290.png

Re: deck and gazebo/cabana project

Hi @womby36 , That looks awesome.
I am trying to build a similar gazebo in the backyard over existing decking.
Question regarding Gazebo footings - Do you need to dig a hole in ground and put the posts in with concrete or ar they ok to be attached to decking boards?
I have composite deck.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: deck and gazebo/cabana project

Hello @chintanshah

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about installing a gazebo over your deck.

I recommend mounting the gazebo onto concrete footing rather than the decking board. The reason for this is that the decking board is not structurally strong enough to hold the gazebo in place should a storm come along. I suggest checking with your local council on the rules and regulations when installing a gazebo over your deck.   

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects