Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Deck renewal project

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Deck renewal project

Hi all,

I thought I'd share my current deck renewal project.

The deck is around 10 years old and was looking pretty shabby. The timber is merbau but I wasn't sure what the original coating put on the deck was - something with a coating that peeled off in parts (as opposed to an oil).

Subsequent oiling never got a brilliant result despite how much I scrubbed and blasted with the pressure cleaner - it was clear that a full sand back to the bare timber was needed.

AfterShot.jpg

BeforeDeck1.jpg 

In preparation for hiring a floor sander I purchased an orbital sander and sanded back all the edges of the deck with 40 grit paper. It's hard work on the hands and knees but I was happy with the initial results, giving me confidence that the deck was going to come up well after the job was complete. Here's a rough example:

FirstStep1.jpg

I hired a floor sander on Saturday. They are heavy beasts but surprisingly easy to use. It's a job anyone can do - even those with limited skills like me! Again I used 40 grit paper for the first sand, then went over again with an 80 grit. Here's a few sanding progress shots:

FirstStep2.jpg    FirstStep4.jpg

FirstStep5.jpg

Final step in the sanding process was to get the orbital sander out again with the 80 grit paper and tidy up any spots that were a little rough or needed a little more work. 

After cleaning up I started oiling the deck. I got one coat on Saturday and one coat on Sunday morning, but with rain forecast for Sunday afternoon/night I couldn't get the third coat done. Hoping to get to it in the next couple of days and will share the results. It looks like it will be a big improvement and well worth doing. 

Jason 

Safety update: January 2021

The Bunnings team would like to advise the drum sanders available for hire in Bunnings stores are not suitable for use on decks. For any exterior decking projects, the Orbital sander available for hire is the correct choice as it has a sturdier head which is ideal for decking.

Before sanding your deck, all nails should be checked to make sure they are below the surface of the boards. Any protruding nails should be punched below the deck surface.

The state of your deck's timber is also important to assess. If they are weathered, the edges can start to split. Any boards that are damaged with sharp edges or splinters should be replaced before commencing sanding.

If you need a hand with your deck renewal project, please don't hesitate to ask for assistance. We're here to help. 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Deck renewal project

It's exciting that this weekend is the start of Spring and the warmer weather is on its way. Anyone need to tackle their outdoor entertaining area? Let us know if you need a hand with anything.

Jason

gippslandhome
Becoming a Leader

@Jason I was just wondering if you actually hire yourself out in the weekend for a side job😂😂😂😊😊

Only joking. Thank you for Sharing your photos and methods of sanding .

I absolutely love the finished product and wow what an effort you put in to achieve it .

I really appreciate that you mentioned the grit sandpaper you used as I have always struggled remembering how it all works.

Anyway thanks again for sharing an awesome job and well done...

Kind regards Rob 👍

I'm currently trying to source free pallets and once I have them, I'm going to have a crack at making an outdoor deck with them, which will include a fire pit and planter boxes.
I'm in the country, so not many places to source free pallets, but working on it.

Pretty exited about this project as I've never done anything like this before.

Welcome to the community @Aussie-Garden .

Sounds like an interesting project. I'm sure everyone would love to see how you progress through the job.

In regards to getting pallets I'm not sure where you are country wise but try your local Bunnings. I'm not sure what they do with their pallets.

The other option is try Gumtree. I know localy we can get alot for free, or try any of your local trucking and transport companies, most of the time they are happy to give them away.

Looking for to see your project move along.

Kind regards Rob 👍

Hi @Aussie-Garden,

Have you seen our long-running D.I.Y. pallet discussion? It has some great ideas plus plenty of handy hints and tips for obtaining pallets and working with them.

You might also get some great inspiration from our Top 10 most popular pallet projects

Jason

I do have decking to do around my pool area once it come sup the priority list. I'm also going to do some decking in the frontyard as I'm starting on that shortly - brick/render letterbox and garden beds, succulents, steppers, decking and other features. Plenty to do :smile:

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Thanks for the replies @gippslandhome and @Jason.
Finding pallets has been hard as the rural business out here either reuse them or have returnable ones like Chep.
Have tried a couple of Bunnings, but they are either an hour or 90 minutes away and had nothing each time I went. Nothing on Gumtree this far out either.
I'm in Northern Vic.

All good though, I have time on my side, so I'll just keep an eye out when I go to the bigger towns every month or so.
Impressed with some of the decks (among other things) built by members here. Really does inspire you.

I'm really glad you are finding some inspiration from the community @Aussie-Garden .

If you PM me the town you live in I will keep an eye out for some free pallets for you.

But until then enjoy the community. You will find that the members are so friendly and willing to help.

Kind regards Rob 👍

kiwicooldaddy
Just Starting Out

Hi Jason,

When you say "In preparation for hiring a floor sander I purchased an orbital sander and sanded back all the edges of the deck with 40 grit paper." do you mean you sanded the edges of each board or just the parameter. ?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kiwicooldaddy.

It's fantastic to have you join us and great to see you jump straight into the discussion. In regards to the edges of each board,  Jason will be back on the site tomorrow and I'm sure he will be more than happy to answer your question then. I would believe he definitely sanded the perimeter of the deck with the orbital hand sander as it is quite difficult to do with a hired floor sander.

We look forward to hearing about the projects you have going on around your home and garden and encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects