Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Deck strip, sand and oil

DIY_Dan
Cultivating a Following

Deck strip, sand and oil

Hi Workshoppers,

I thought my deck experience might prove a handy reference for many on here. Our deck was about 5 years old and ready for re-oiling - after earlier failed attempts I knew that a total strip and sand would be necessary to get the best result.

This was the original state, clearly in need of some attention.

Ocean grove deck 3.JPG

Initially I resorted to using Power Prep and the pressure sprayer, which wasn't quite enough for stripping back of the existing deck finish. Here is one of the initial stages of using Power Prep.

Ocean grove deck 1 - before.JPG

I shifted tactics to a paint stripper (Liquid 😎 which was a little more potent and got the result I needed.  You can see how effective it was in the photo below.

Ocean grove deck 2 - pressure spray.JPG

After going over the entire deck with Liquid 8 and the pressure sprayer, I decided to sand the entire surface.  I wanted a really high quality result when oiling, and so took the time not only to sand, but to sand over the decking twice.

Below is a photo after a coarse sanding (P40 sandpaper) and then a fine sanding (P280 sandpaper). Smooth as a baby's bottom now!

I'm about to add a couple of coats of oil, and will share pictures when done!  Can't wait to see how it comes up now that the hard work has been done - anticipation in the household is high as you might imagine.

Ocean grove deck 4.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Deck strip, sand and oil

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Luciano. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

I'd suggest the deck has been coated at least a couple of times since this discussion, but let me tag @DIY_Dan, so they are alerted to your question.

For the sake of consistency, I'd suggest you need to do the lot at the same time, or you'll have some type of transition. You might be able to blend the area between what is sanded and what's not, but I think it will still be noticeable. You could always just give it a go. Sand the affected area and then apply a coat of oil over a test section. If you can't see the transition, then coat the whole deck. Otherwise, continue the sanding process into the unaffected area.

You might like to start your own discussion with some pictures of the deck. That way, our members can offer advice specific to your project.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects