Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Decking over existing concrete slab (Alfresco)

rohit21
Getting Established

Decking over existing concrete slab (Alfresco)

Hi there,

I have an alfresco that I wish to deck out. The alfresco is concreted with the house at the moment (refer attached pictures). Now I have compiled a list as below to take on this project but need advise from experts. 

I have also gone through few DIY links before making a decision to go ahead :https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Featured-Projects/Low-level-deck-over-concrete/ta-p/77402

1. Bunnings Floor decking tiles

I am going with different approach (using Floor decking tiles) as my alfresco is almost the same level of mirror doors so i don't have to level up decking. Another reason for not using decking boards is due to lack of skill or might be extra cost than decking tiles.

As per my calculation, i need to purchase = +177 (<200) blocks to implement this but not sure how floor decks can stay over concrete. Am i missing some additional steps or materials to avoid risk in my first DIY project?

Not able to find below floor deckings pack in Bunnings 

rohit21_2-1653017303570.png

rohit21_0-1653017031417.pngrohit21_1-1653017074847.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Decking over existing concrete slab (Alfresco)

Hello @rohit21

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about decking over an existing concrete slab.

I remember seeing these floor decking tiles, but I've not seen them in the store for quite a while. The closest product that's similar to it is the Matrix 590 x 590 x 20mm Charcoal The Shed Tread Panel. Unfortunately, it does not have a timber base top. If I recall correctly the timber decking tiles were 300mm x 300mm so your calculation of 177 blocks is more than sufficient. 

In order to keep the decking tiles in place, fixing screws must be applied to the plastic frame of the decking tile and drilled into the concrete base to prevent the entire set from moving. I recommend doing it in an alternate fashion on the outside pieces only. This should be more than enough to keep the flooring in place.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides: 

The techniques used in the guides are also applicable to your concrete floor. I'll make some inquiries for you regarding the availability of the decking tiles and see if they can be specially ordered. As soon as I find out, I'll let you know.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Decking over existing concrete slab (Alfresco)

Hello @rohit21 

My apologies for the late reply, unfortunately, the floor decking tiles are no longer in stock and the store has no information if they will come back as a regular item. My only other recommendation is to tile the area to give it a different look.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects