Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do I need bearers for a small low-level deck over a paved patio?

hambly
Getting Established

Do I need bearers for a small low-level deck over a paved patio?

I'm looking at building a very simple 3x3m low level deck over a pretty flat paved patio. Whilst I have plenty of enthusiasm, my DIY skills are limited (as are my tools). I'm not looking at building something that will be there forever, but I obviously want it to be stable and safe. 

What would be the major issues with building a deck base similar to that pictured below? With closely gapped joists sitting on pedestals? And no bearers/noggins? I'd ideally be using timber or composite joists, rather than the aluminium ones pictured. Is this setup only really appropriate with steel/aluminium joists?

Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks

1000094511.jpg

1000094512.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Do I need bearers?

Good Evening @hambly 

Welcome to The Bunnings Community page :smile: And thats a good question straight off the mark.

Will list a few issues not to talk you out of it but to factor in for you doing your deck,

- Air flow is a biggy, if its low to the ground and you are using timber then less airflow = more timber issues.

- Span between timbers, "With closely gapped joists sitting on pedestals? And no bearers/noggins?" Think of springyness to the boards if you go for less support.

Good things

-Your limited tools are not a worry :smile: You really dont need a lot of tools for a deck. Min would be, Circular saw, Torqued drill, Impact drill for the timber under the deck, tape meausure and a level plus a pencil... (I just went through thinking what Ive used for my decking.) if Its timber decking then Id suggest a ratchet as well Courtyard privacy fence and gate build, Part 2 check step 3 for what I mean with a ratchet.

-3m by 3m is a nice sized deck to start with. Are you thinking timber or composite? 

Ive never used aluminium for bearers or joists so I cannot really recomend them, I liek recyled hardwood, seems to standthe test of time for me.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @hambly. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing a deck.

Creating a low-level floating deck is certainly a possibility. How much height are you working with? Once I have that detail, I can let you know what feet, timber joists and decking would be suitable. We've seen some of our members build very low-level decks, so provided you have around 100mm of height to work with, there should be a solution. Obviously, the lower the deck, the less airflow there is and the more likely you're to see the earlier onset of decay.

As @Dave-1 mentioned, a floating deck is a relatively simple construction, and if you take your time, I have no doubt you'll be able to complete the project. Here's a helpful guide: How to build a low-level deck.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
hambly
Getting Established

Thanks so much for the reply Dave! This is really helpful. Especially the note about tools, that all seems very manageable. I was actually thinking composite for the joists and timber boards. Figured if it was low to the ground composite joists would be less prone to rot. There aren't that many places that seem to do composite joists though. Prefer the look of timber for the boards.

hambly
Getting Established

Thank you so much Mitchell. Definitely excited about getting stuck into the project. I've got about 160mm to work with to clear the door entry. As I said to Dave, I'm wondering whether composite joists are an option? To combat the issues I'd have from air flow. Is that doable?

Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I am unaware of any composite joist options @hambly. However, plenty of decks have been built by our community members within 160mm. Measures can be taken, such as leaving the sides of the deck open or increasing the decking board gaps to help increase airflow and minimise the early onset of decay.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects