Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Does this have a purpose?

Berry
Cultivating a Following

Does this have a purpose?

CD297394-ACB0-457F-A3E3-43BFA8BAEFF9.jpeg

We’ve moved into a town house with a couple of these rails outside above windows - I’m just wondering if they have a purpose? They don’t seem like they could hold much weight. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Does this have a purpose?

Hi @Berry,

If they are only positioned above windows, I would suggest they are aesthetical awnings and perhaps a design element. I can't imagine they provide all that much shade to the windows, but perhaps in the midday sun, they might give some. I do not believe they are designed to hang anything off.

Let me mention @redracer01 and @TedBear to see if they had any ideas.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

They look very much like the type of solar shades that are more often used in European houses than in harsh Australian conditions. 

If that is what they are, they will likely be on a northern or western side of the building (?) in Australia , 

The purpose of solar shades is to extend the period of shade beyond what your upper level eaves provide (& therefore extend cooling) over the opening during the part of the day, without obstructing views or accessibility and without adding wind drag or water problems.

In winter, (if fitted in the ideal location) they should allow the sun (which will be higher in the sky) to shine through so as to not obstruct warmth then.

If they seem to be useful for shade, you could consider putting some shade cloth on top to get even more shading, but you could lose some light.

If you want to keep them for decorative purposes only, maybe you could paint the slats in various colours to give more interest.

Berry
Cultivating a Following

I’d like to take them down but perhaps I’ll wait and see if they offer any advantage in winter. Thank you @MitchellMc & @TedBear 

Carol_Prime
Having an Impact

I believe they are to cast shade at certain angles. 

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @Berry 

Yes, I totally agree with the others that this is some form or construct of a shade giving apparatus! Perhaps long and intense observation of it's shade providing abilities will vindicate it's purpose in your house, or maybe we can keep an eye on it to see if it works. 

Cheers 

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects