Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Downpipe issues left by the handyman

ivanptr
Making a Splash

Downpipe issues left by the handyman

signal-2021-07-29-142308.jpg

Okay, hard lesson learnt . We  hired a handyman, instead of a plumber , to replace a sector of downpipe.

But the junction seems not sealed with insufficient blue glue. And some water can leak at the back of the junction.

Fortunately it is not serious because the gap is small.

So we are after some products such as sealant to seal the gaps from outside. 

Should we use blue glue ?

Or Shelley's all clear sealant? 

16275328901221132207402349051141.jpg

Thank you for any suggestions.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: Downpipe issues left by the handyman

Ivanptr,

What should have happened, is that there needs to be a square to round transition at the bottom of that downpipe.

As well as a couple of 45 degree bends and shortened PVC lengths to get down to the ground.

Couldn't be any easier.

Also, you only use plumbing adhesive on pressure pipe (as in it has actual water pressure on it), that is a rookie mistake

in itself.

The actual pipe fittings you need are DWV (Drain Waste Vent).

One final thing, having water off your roof, wash into your foundations, is probably not the best, that could cause subsidence over time where your foundation could sink with the water getting under it.

Regards,

Mike T.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the suggestion.

Do you mean I have to undo the whole thing done by the handyman, by removing the parts and installing 45 degree bends and shortened PVC lengths to get down to the ground? 

Could you suggest any other temporary solution to deal with the slight gap ?

Wouldnt be a problem if I use sealant to fill the slight gap of less than 1mm? 

Regards,
Ivan

pstq
Having an Impact

"What should have happened, is that there needs to be a square to round transition at the bottom of that downpipe."

I don't understand this answer. Isn't that a square to round transition in the photo?

pstq
Having an Impact

Have you seen water coming out from that joint? Unless the pipe isn't inserted far enough into the fitting, I would have thought it shouldn't leak even without glue, with the low pressure trickle from the roof.

Is it possible there's a blockage further down, and the water is filling the pipe?

ivanptr_0-1627609471593.png

@pstq The square to round transition is enclosing the pipe below from outside, and the pipe is not vetically straight, so that leads to a small gap

And we see water coming out

pstq
Having an Impact

I would have thought the square to round had enough slack in it to let it twist to match the angle. Maybe they didn't cut the pipe straight, or struggled to jam it on properly before the glue set.

I think if there's no danger of the joint separating then it would be easiest to just silicon the gap up. The blue glue is a solvent to "melt" the two pieces together, and can't fill gaps.

Thanks for the heads-up! we almost use blue glue to seal the gaps from outside. Okay we will use sealant!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ivanptr

It's great that you have received fantastic advice from @MikeTNZ and @pstq. If the leak is only very slow and small, I suggest using Selleys 290ml Clear Storm Waterproof Gutter And Roof Sealant. Selleys Clear Storm Sealant delivers a waterproof seal on almost any material, and can even be applied in the rain to stop leaks immediately. Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing the leak covered.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @pstq,

No it isn't, that is meant to be a bracket at the bottom of the downpipe, that looks like it was broken off to allow the plumbing work to happen. 

If you look a bit harder, the round pipe has been put up inside the square (or rectangular) section of the down-pipe, that is why it is leaking like a sieve.

It needs a transition installed on it to funnel the water into the round pipe, from the downpipe.

If this is the sate of the downpipe, I would question what state the actual guttering is in as well.

I replaced all of my guttering from thin steel to PVC last year, round downpipes in PVC, couldn't have been any easier if you get your falls right.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects