Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Extending deck

Chris7
Just Starting Out

Extending deck

I am planning on extending my deck by 2.4m x 2.8m to create on outdoor kitchen. As two sides will be attached to the deck will I need any posts in the middle or will one at the corner be enough?

EXIST DECK.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Extending Deck

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Chris7. We're looking forward to seeing you transform your deck and build your new outdoor kitchen. Sounds very exciting. 

I suspect members might need a little more detail from you, but let me tag helpful members such as @Adam_W, @bruce93, @Tara86 and @Chiren_J to see if they can kick off the discussion. 

The ever-helpful @MitchellMc will also be more than happy to assist when he is back from his well-deserved break in a week's time. Thanks for your patience in the meantime. 

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading more. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Extending deck

Hi @Chris7,

That appears to be a bit far to span unless you were going to use some very large bearers. I'd suggest one post in the corner and then another midway on each side. You'll then need an additional bearer down the middle. If you connect the next section to the old, then the two sides' posts can be left out. I'll include an image below,

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

Extdeck.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects