Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Feedback on new solar system

TonyJ
Growing in Experience

Feedback on new solar system

SolarPanels.png

Hi all,

We are installing 16 extra solar panels on our roof and adding battery storage.

The battery is a 1.2KW Lithium Iron Phosphate with 10 years warranty made by Enphase.

The installed cost of the panels and battery is $8888. Does that sound reasonable? 

They have suggested that we might need an extra battery in the future - another $2500. They have recommended to monitor use for a few months and then consider adding another. 

I would appreciate any feedback on whether we are doing the right thing.

Thanks,

Tony

TonyJ
Growing in Experience

Re: Feedback on new solar system

@Kev (and others)

Thanks again for your help. We got a bill last week with a credit of over $1200! At this rate the panels will be paid off in no time, even if we are reduced to a much lower FIT next year. 

SolarSam
Getting Established

Have just started researching and getting quotes so this was a useful thread for me. 

I've reached out to three suppliers in my area via https://www.solarquotes.com.au/ and will let you know how I go and post questions, etc. 

Looks like we'll be able to get a maximum of 22 panels to give us about 6.6kw, which should be plenty as we're a family of four with a four bedroom house. 

Bit confused by the amount of different panels out there, mostly brands I haven't heard of, but so far the installers seem very helpful. 

Henno
Having an Impact

Hi Tony, here's a link to a site that could be worthwhile for you to check out:

https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/

Finn Peacock is quite knowledgeable about all things solar and I've been using his advice for over five years now and am on the brink of paying back my investment in my 3kW system I purchased for about $5,000.

All advice he gives is free and backed up by good research.

SolarSam
Getting Established

@Henno @TonyJ @Kev @MartyH @Brad @AHoy

Thanks again for the comments on this discussion. I am slowly learning. 

I've got my first quote for a 3.9Kw system with 13 Trina Honey panels and a Fronius Inverter for $6,600 including the fed govt rebate.

Payback time will be about 8 years. Was hoping for shorter ROI. Seems like the quote is a little high. 

Sam, whatever you choose, just be content with the fact that you are also contributing to our kids' environment. ROI is important, but not as important as leaving this planet a cleaner place than what the government has in store for us.

The FiT you get is just a drop in the ocean and it is up to you to make the phone call to the energy company of your choice and haggle with them for a decent discount or a fair price.

Half an hour of your time and the cost of a phone call will help minimise the cost of power to your home. Combine this with your solar investment and you have the makings of a great savings for your family and the community at large.

It took me a while to train myself in the wiles of doing things at the correct time of day to take full advantage of solar generation, so it is up to you to do the same. The savings will add up over time. The other thing I had installed is a device which helps monitor the usage and generation of power at my residence. Very helpful over the course of a season and eventually a year. The only thing I can advise you is not to get too obsessive about the whole idea of savings. They will come no matter what.

Good luck with the search and I hope you become one of the lucky ones saving the planet one kilowatt at a time!

Henno
Having an Impact

@TonyJ with this outrageously high FiT you will be paying your system off in THREE YEARS! This is dreamworld for me! At the moment, here in Cronulla, I'm getting a measly 12.5c and this is the HIGHEST I've had it since installing my system.

But I, too, am sceptical about Power Direct being able to give you this value for any real length of time. My suggestion is to turn off every appliance in the house and go on an extended holiday for at least three months.

I am totally jealous of you and hope you can realise the value in this extraordinarily generous deal you seem to have been given.

With the warmer months coming up, get cracking on an appliance usage timetable and enjoy the fruits of your endeavours.

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Have we got any Victorian Workshop members now rushing to get solar thanks to the new state solar subsidy?

State Solar Subsidy Announcement.jpg

SolarSam
Getting Established

I've taken the plunge. Went for the most expensive quote of the three that we got but the outfit seemed the most professional and comprehensive to deal with.

Am getting 17 Trina Honey 305W panels and a Fronius 5kW inverter with installation for just over $7k. Should pay for itself in around 7 years. Looking forward to a hot summer!

Cornishman
Just Starting Out

Excellent and very useful analysis. Thanks Kev

enjoyed the conversation , solar panels are a very confusing matter, the battery info is good thanks and will wait until they are more efficient.

@Henno what is your monitoring system, is it comprehensive on your panel output and usage , also available at a reasonable cost and setup

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects