Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fence makeover

KingStreetReno
Making a Splash

Fence makeover

We have been slowly transforming our 'backyard' AKA courtyard since moving into our Victorian inner city home. 

The previous owners kindly left us a cheap and nasty shed which was located in the left hand corner of the space (I forgot to take a before pic, but the you can see the discolouration in the fence where is was originally located).

Three sides of the neighbouring fence are in ok condition - apart from one section which is literally crumbling. We have decided to leave this for now until phase 2 of the make-over (which will involve sorting out drainage problems etc).

Phase 1 of our make-over was to remove the shed and to spray paint the fence. We bought a spray gun which cut down the painting by hours and painted it in Dulux Domino - a dark grey with cool undertones.

The first coat took us around 1 hour in prep time using Cabot's Deck Clean plus 2 hours to spray paint. 

The following day my husband painted the second coat in just 1 hour! He watered down the paint a little more for the second coat which worked a treat.

I cannot rave about using a spray gun enough...it saved us hours and hours of paint time and there was practically no mess to clean up. Just ensure that you soak the spray gun afterwards to ensure it doesn't get clogged! 

AFTER: 

After 3.JPG

After 2.JPG

BEFORE:

Before 1.jpg

Before 2.jpg

Re: Fence makeover

Hello, I would love to do this in my fence too. Would you mind sharing how many litres of paint do I need to use for roughly about 600m of fence? Also, do I need to do 2 coats for this job? and how long do I need to paint the second coat? Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sue_sy01. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about paint application.

It's been quite some time since this project was contributed, but let me mention @KingStreetReno in case they can answer the questions about their project.

You'll need two coats to cover adequately. If you are applying two coats, one litre will cover eight square meters. Since this is a fence, I'd factor slightly less coverage into the equation, say six square meters. I suspect there might have been a typo in your fence meterage. If you have 600 square meters of fence, you'll need roughly 100 litres of paint. However, you could have quite a large yard. Let me know if there was an error, and I'll re-calculate.

You can paint your second coat after the first coat is dry.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to following along and assisting with your project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc , yeah that was a typo error. It might be around 6 square meters or probably around 8 as a buffer. Also, what should I use to cover my plant box from getting any paint? Should I buy tarp to cover it, or any newspaper should do? 

Thanks for your reply and it's very much appreciated. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sue_sy01

It's great that @MitchellMc has been giving you excellent advice. Thank you for that update. That's a relief, it would have been a big job painting 600 square meters of fencing! Based on Mitchell's estimate you'll need 2 litres to cover 8 square meters with two coats. However, if that's 8 meters at the front and 8 meters at the back of the fence you'll need 4 litres.

If you are using a spray gun, I recommend starting with a 4 litre can and buying extra if you run short. I suggest some Masking Tape and Paint Partner 2.6 x 3.6m Clear Plastic Drop Sheet to cover any plants or items you don't want to be covered in spray paint.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much @EricL. Your response is greatly appreciated. :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects