Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Finishing off my new house

Brutan
Finding My Feet

Finishing off my new house

IMG-20211002-WA0000.jpeg

I have moved into my new home last year, and started finishing off my front and backyard straight after. It took me a while, lots of pain, sweat and tears🤣 Through hail and sun 🤣 But I finally completed everything with the last finishing touch and yet another purchase from Bunnings - outdoor sitting set.

Over the course of project I was not only buying materials but tools as well - "learn as you go", was my approach. 

In the end, that's what I accomplished:

- gardens to front and back yard;

- custom letter box, flower beds to the side of the house;

- Decking at the backyard;

- repainted the fence in the backyard area;

- and numerous little odd jobs for laundry, garage, even shelves for walk in robe!!

Thank you Bunnings for helping me achieve my goals and dreams!!

Get on the tools guys, and get creative!

IMG20210710162644.jpg

IMG20220506153430.jpg

IMG20220501150255.jpg

IMG20210726171615.jpg

IMG20220402134010.jpg

IMG-20211204-WA0001.jpeg

IMG-20211204-WA0003.jpeg

IMG-20210627-WA0000.jpeg

IMG20210919174714.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Finishing off my new house

Hi @Brutan,

First, let me welcome you to the Bunnings Workshop community! It great that you've decided to join us and share your new home renovations. You'll find Workshop is a wealth of inspiration and advice for all things DIY and garden. If you ever need assistance with the site please do let me know. 

All of your hard work has really paid off! You have done a beautiful job creating an inviting home both inside and out. You mentioned that you bought a lot of tools throughout the journey, was there one tool that ended up being your go-to? Many of our members (including myself) are new to tools but are interested in where to start. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello Katie and thank you for your kind words. 

Where to start... I now own all sorts of tools - from standard screwdriver to a table saw.... Some are battery operated, some corded. Most used and absolute "must haves" of each house are definitely my hammer drill and a good impact driver (drill/driver). They are both Ryobi, and I'm happy with quality and performance.

Socket/Screwdriver set with ratchet handles - love it, and makes the job very easy.

I also have a grinder, circular saw and table saw, but these tools are not often used, and some people would prefer to just borrow them when needed. I like to have them for when I need them 😊.

Lawn mower, trimmer and blower/vac are the minimum requirements for your garden. 

Overall it will cost you quite a lot, and if you need a lot of jobs done and you are quite stretched for money , my advice is to try and do the jobs in stages, and have tools and materials ready for each stage. This will allow you to avoid unfinished jobs, due to lack of funds. Then save again,  for tools and materials for the next job. And so forth.. 😊 Seems easy, but so hard in fact😒, because you just want everything to be done right away!!!!  Be patient and determined, and don't be afraid trying new projects!

Regards Tatiana 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Brutan,

Wow you weren't kidding around when you said you purchased a lot of tools! Thank you for your advice, patience goes a long way indeed. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects