Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fire pit on wheels

swynne
Growing in Experience

Fire pit on wheels

We bought a Cement Grey and Black Machu Fire Pit and decided we wanted to have it on our deck.

To avoid fire risk and damage to decking, we placed it on 4 concrete masonry pavers.  

This worked, but we wanted more space/insulation between the fire and the decking boards, and we wanted the fire pit to be mobile.

The solution:  A Fire pit on wheels! Great for getting an active fire to the best location (even on decking).

1.jpg

1) 5 heavy duty castor wheels, secured to a square of marine ply with stainless steel screws provided (one wheel in each corner and one in the centre)

2) Use thick marine ply (approx 610 x 610 thickest avilable!)

3) 4 concrete pavers - 400 x 400 x 40mm.  (Brighton masonry pavers)

4) 12 ramset dynabolts.  6mm x 40mm ( I used 50mm, but they were too long and almost went right through the pavers!)  

5) Gently clamp the 4 pavers together on a flat surface. Place the inverted marine board over the centre. Space the attachment points out evenly - mark drill holes on the marine board near the corners of the pavers (centrally) and 2 more holes (per paver).  Remove the marine ply and drill through all marked holes.  Replace the marine ply and mark the pavers through these "guide holes", then remove the marine ply and use a masonry bit to drill the 12 holes. Attach the marine board with the dunabolts.

6) Tip over the trolley to stand it on its wheels.  The Glow 80 x 80 x 23cm Cement Grey and Black Machu Fire Pit now sits securely on the mobile solid heat-resistant concrete trolley.

7) We made 3 more adjustments - Firstly, we drilled 4 more holes in the fire pit bowl to increase air flow, we added an old metal grill from a disused barbeque to place in the bowl, allowing air to circulate under the hot coals, creating less smoke, and finally, we placed an old metal tray underneath the firepit, on the pavers to collect ash that may fall through the small drill holes

enjoy :wink:

2.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Fire pit on wheels! great for getting an active fire to the best location (even on decking)

Thanks for sharing @swynne. The fire pit sounds fantastic and I'm sure something that other community members might like to replicate.

It would be great to see some photos if you have some. Just click on the insert/edit image button to upload. 

InsertImage.png

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. It's great to have you as a member. I'm looking forward to reading more about your projects and plans. Please let me know if you need a hand getting the most from the site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Trying
Making a Splash

Re: Fire pit on wheels! great for getting an active fire to the best location (even on decking)

Hi swynne, what a fabulous idea ! Well done you ! Love to see a photo of your deck PLUS firepit. Have fun on this site - I do. Welcome. Cheers.

swynne
Growing in Experience

Hi Jason,

Had some trouble getting the images on without them rotating!

I first tried editing my original text on my phone, but couldn't seem to access the add/edit photo button.

Not sure if it was my IT clumsiness or a compatability issue.

I put them up anyway

regards

Shaun 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi again Shaun (@swynne)

Thanks again for sharing. It looks fantastic. What a great idea!

Sorry for the trouble you had uploading your images. We are working on optimising the site for mobile - thanks for your patience in the meantime. I have taken the liberty of editing your post and rotating the images.

Jason 

Shane
Having an Impact

Good one @swynne.

What's the mat you've got it on? I'm thinking I might like a bigger mat in case a hot ember or some burning timber fell out. 

Love it! I've had to prop one of ours up on slabs to protect our fake grass.

Next I'm looking to install a big unit in our alfresco, running the chimney through the roof - can't wait!
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
swynne
Growing in Experience

The mat is a deck-protector mat for a BBQ, cut down to size.

I originally had the 4 pavers directly on the mat, on the deck.

I have since got rid of the mat and move the fire pit stand around directly on the deck.  We use only quality kindling and redgum to minimize sparks and embers.  We have used it about a dozen times or more since making it a month ago and have not yet seen a mark on the deck.

Annette
Making a Splash

Brilliant ! Absolutely love this fire pit. I am trying to convince Hubby to build a permanent fire pit but he is reluctant to retire his beer keg which in on a tall stand and has a tray underneath to catch the embers. I will show him some Google images of fire pits to try and sway him. Wish me Luck  :smile:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Visitors to this popular project might like to check out other fantastic fire pit ideas here - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Outdoor/DIY-Fire-Pit-Ideas/m-p/2806

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects