Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Footing for deck on sloping land

janga892
Just Starting Out

Footing for deck on sloping land

What is the best footing for clay soil that is sloping (starting higher and sloping down)?
I tried concrete blocks but it was a disaster trying to level it. I am a newbie and have never done this before. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Footing for deck on sloping land

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @janga892. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

What footings you need to use are dependant on your soil classification. A geotechnical engineer will take several samples from your site and determine what classification the soil is. A structural engineer can then determine what sort of footing system is suitable for your site and deck.

I'm not sure how you are using concrete blocks in this scenario but generally, a footer would be a hole dug into the ground to a depth suitable for your soil type at a minimum of 300mm diameter. A post would then be concreted into that hole and backfill added which is compacted.

If you have had issues with the soil before I would encourage to speak with your local council as they might have an in house permit surveyor you could work with.

You should find this step-by-step guide helpful: How To Install Bearers And Stumps For A Deck. You'll note that we are installing them as per our guides and permits.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects