Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Front fence post repair corner rotting timber

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Front fence post repair corner rotting timber

I had decided to touch up my front timber fence, there was paint peeling off some areas on top of the fence, this was caused by bird droppings reacting with the paint, (bird droppings make a good paint remover), whilst I was patching I found that one of the corner posts was rotting at the top corner, I'm guessing it's wood rot, I have seen this problem on weatherboards, where the wood rots under the paintwork.

To repair,

I removed the rot, using a chisel and sandpaper, I deliberately tapered the bottom area to prevent and water seeping through to the bottom of the repair.                                                                                                                                                                         

I cleaned up the are, removing all the rotting timber with a chisel and sanderI cleaned up the are, removing all the rotting timber with a chisel and sander

2. I had some Cyprus pine, shaped it to fit the area, I left the outer areas larger for trimming later.

I shaped two pieces of cyprus pine to fit the area and glued and temporarily screw in place until the glue dried, I used water proof glue.I shaped two pieces of cyprus pine to fit the area and glued and temporarily screw in place until the glue dried, I used water proof glue.

I glued (outdoor glue, weatherproof) and temporarily screwed the blocks of timber.

Let the glue dry overnight, removed the screws.

Cut the access of timber inline with the post and patched the area with outdoor repair filler.

After the glue dried, I removed the screws, then I cut and sanded the areaAfter the glue dried, I removed the screws, then I cut and sanded the area

Once sandedOnce sanded

I patched the area with outdoor timber fillerI patched the area with outdoor timber filler

Re sanded the areaRe sanded the area

Sanded area, undercoat the paint the area.

Finished.

Lesson to learn, carry out minor repairs before they become a major problem.

UndercoatUndercoat

Finish coat, all doneFinish coat, all done

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Front fence post repair corner rotting timber

Well done @JoeAzza and many thanks for sharing. Great repair job! I'm sure this will be very helpful to other community members in future.

Love your work,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SalBay
Building a Reputation

Hi Joe , 

I have done a few of these repairs on our 184yr old property, one of the best glues to use is a polyurethane glue, as it expands to fill the inevitable gaps (and termite damage). 

The Sikaflex techgrip glue I use is this one https://www.bunnings.com.au/sikabond-125g-techgrip-multi-purpose-polyurethane-adhesive_p1660985  ,

It is also great to fix splits in hardwood timber palings, just wedge open the crack, squirt the glue in, then wedge the crack closed (using adjacent palings), come back next day and clean up with chisel. 

For external rotting timber I usually pre-spray the area , where possible with "eco seal" ?? (green aerosol for treating cuts on treated pine, usually kept in the timber section).

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Thank you, next I go the Bunnings , I'll buy the Sikaflex glue and try it, I am currently using Titebond Ultimate 3 and Wellbond.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @JoeAzza 

I just came across this :smile: It was at the bottom of another project page and I thought it looked interesting. Nice job I must say, I really liked the way you explained and showed teh steps. It would make it easier to replicate the repair.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects