Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Front yard decoration - can you use mulch close to the house?

Sugar
Having an Impact

Front yard decoration - can you use mulch close to the house?

Hi folks,

I am working on my front yard project. Following are the images and what I am planning to do. I am laying turf, mulch and installing Water fountain. My question is: Is it okay to use Mulch close to wall? I am asking this I am planning to plant some flowers on mulch after laying them. Will the mulch attract termites? I would really suggest if you have any suggestion on this.

176545711_607421003764356_8278149858539109408_n.jpg173020820_1138297733249295_2544170633175254243_n.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Front yard decoration

Thanks for sharing your project with us, @Sugar.

Let me tag @LisasGarden, @Adam_W and @MitchellMc to help with your question. Just note that our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be back on the site on Friday to assist.

Really looking forward to seeing the end result with the water fountain.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LisasGarden
Making a Splash

Re: Front yard decoration

They say you shouldn’t have garden beds against the house walls  because it can encourage termites to gain entry into the house. You could use stones/pebbles and some beautiful pots and maybe have  a garden bed away from the house walls 

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Front yard decoration - can you use mulch close to the house?

Hello @Sugar 

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. Thank you for sharing your diy project with the community. In these situations I would probably suggest using timber sleepers against the house or even bricks to provide a buffer against the mulch. Mulch tends to hold moisture and might become a source of mold against your wall. So by providing a buffer such as sleepers or bricks you have that measure of safety. Looking forward to the finished project.

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thank you all for the advice. So I was in the right direction. I was feeling reluctant to use mulch against the house wall. @LisasGarden I like your idea of beautiful stones or pebbles. I think I will go with this. The only thing I am worried about is the weeds growing from the ground when pebbles are used. This is the current case as you can see in the picture. I like to control weed growing also. 

You could lay down weed mat  or shade cloth etc first to help control the weeds and then the stones. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to see you've received some helpful replies from our knowledgeable members @Sugar.

As mentioned, if you are in a termite prone area, I would suggest keeping the use of mulch to a minimum. If you are to use it, there will probably be local regulations regarding creating a buffer between it and the wall of the house. However, it sounds like you have made the wise decision to go with stones or pebbles, and we have a great range to select from. Weedmat would indeed be the ideal solution for controlling weed growth.

Have you decided on what type of grass you'll lay? We offer Sir Walter Soft Leaf Buffalo and Hybrid Bermuda turf. You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to lay instant turf

Do you know what type of fountain and arrangement you were looking for? I'd be happy to make some suggestions for you also.

I look forward to following along with your project as I trust you'll have some magnificent results.

Please let us know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc Yes, I am very thankful for everyone's reply. 

Regarding the pebbles, my wife and I are still deciding which one to go for. 

So far, I am planning to use Tuscan White Aztech Pebbles and black polish in combination. 

Regarding fountain: I am planning to go with a pump powered by the solar panel. 

Grass: I might go with wintergreen grass. Last time, I used seeds and they were washed away by rain the next morning :). So this time, I am preferring to go with instant turf.  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Sugar,

The combination of black and white pebbles sounds like it will look terrific.

You might like to read through this discussion: New water feature! by @Adam_W. His results were very impressive. I'm sure you could use a solar-powered pump in combination with it. You should also find this step-by-step guide useful: How to create a water feature. Here's our range of solar-powered pumps.

I'd have to agree that instant turf can be much easier, and you get results right away.

I can't wait to see your results.

Mitchell

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @Sugar ,
Although uncommon mulch can attract termites but more often what it does is provide cover for them to get into the underneath of your house unnoticed. That's a major problem.
Two solutions...
- Cypress mulches are termite repellent, tea tree mulches too but probably not for the longer term.

- Pebble mulches will also work well as termites are unlikely to travel underneath them to the house.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects