Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Front yard ideas wanted

julzdiy
Building a Reputation

Front yard ideas wanted

The next project is the front of the house and I am looking for some inspiration and what plants for the garden as well. It is an 80s house and north facing so we get a lot of sunlight in the morning until the mid afternoon. 

Before:

We had to clear everything in the front and it was a massive job.

IMG-20201229-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20201229-WA0018.jpg

Current:

Pavers and pebblecrete. There are steps to the front entrance as well, which are falling apart.

20220724_122919.jpg

20220724_144501.jpg

I'd like to have a deck and a seating area. Plants to be low maintenance. Hopefully we paint the bricks either light grey or white as we like the Hamptons design.

Thank you!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Front yard ideas wanted

Hi @julzdiy

Thank you for sharing your question about your front yard renovation. Would it be possible for you to post a photo from the front of your house so that we can see the full extent of your front yard? Can you also please include the measurements of the area? Once we have this information we'll be able to make recommendations on how you can transform your garden.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration:  Top 10 most popular garden makeovers

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.  

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @julzdiy,

Looking forward to seeing more photos and the dimensions of your garden as per Eric's reply.

I would also encourage you to have a read of experienced Workshop member @Adam_W's helpful guide How to plan a garden makeover. As this is a big space it will be really important to come up with a wish list, create a sketch of what the area will look like, and a plan for what projects to tackle and in what order. I know it might initially sound overwhelming, but we're here to help you achieve a fantastic result. 

Jason

julzdiy
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL thanks for getting back to me.

Here is a picture of the front of the house. 

20220808_101736.jpg

Measurements length 12,200mm X width 5500mm. 

It would be nice to have a deck/ walking area of width 3000mm and garden space width of 2500mm.

I will also need new steps to make a nice entrance statement.

Thank you so much.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

How'd you go making your plan @julzdiy

The first step is to plan out your project and get something down on paper. Once you have a rough idea of what you'd like to achieve, you can start on the individual elements. For instance, since you want a deck, I recommend checking out these helpful step-by-step guides on How to build your own deck and How to add a step to your deck.

You've got a bit of a sloped yard, so you might like to install a retaining wall and level the areas. This would create a much more usable space. This easy-to-follow guide should be of assistance: How to build a retaining wall.

For inspiration on what plants to use, I'd suggest driving around your local area. Take pictures of the plants you like and that are thriving. This will give you a great sense of what will work well in your own yard and is suited to the climate. Natives are always a good option as they require little maintenance, and you can get some beautiful flowering varieties.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects