Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Gabion wall bench seat build project

tony1982
Building a Reputation

Gabion wall bench seat build project

Hi team

Looking to build some bench seats for a fire pit area and like the look of loose rocks under the seat. Similar to the pic below but with a back rest on the bench.

Also I will be framing out the bench with treated pine and cladding in deck boards. I only want the rocks at the front as a decorative thing so won't need a large volume of rocks to fill a full Gabion cage (actually thinking of cutting down some steel fencing to use as the mesh).

Any suggestions on where I can buy rocks like these? Do @Bunnings sell them? Or would I need to visit a local landscape supplier? Gabion rocks.PNG

Shawbird
Just Starting Out

Re: Where to purchase rocks for Gabion wall bench seat?

Landscape supplier will be much more cost effective. You can get 1/4m3 quantities or by the bag too.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @tony1982,

I suggest you get in touch with the Special Orders team at your local Bunnings store. They can organise a bulk order and delivery of landscaping items such as rocks. 

Let us know if you have an idea of the volume you need and @MitchellMc can provide you details of specific products that might suit when he is back on the site tomorrow. Mitch could also help you calculate the volume you need if you could share the dimensions of the Gabion cage. 

@Shawbird, many thanks for joining in the discussion. We are looking forward to reading about your own projects and plans. Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tony1982
Building a Reputation

Thanks @Jason we haven't fully decided on dimensions yet but once I do I will come back with more info.

As I'm not looking to fill a cage, just have stones against the front of the wire for the visual affect, I'm wondering how best to "frame" it at the back so the stones just don't collapse backwards. All that framework will be hidden by the deck boards on the top and side of bench. Thinking maybe a sheet of ply, but then worried about it deteriorating as it gets wet over the months/years. 

Hello @tony1982 

I suggest using treated structural timber and marine ply to build your interior frame so that it will withstand the weather. I also suggest using bricks as footing for the frame so that it is off the ground and will be above incidental water puddles. This will make your frame last longer as it is not soaked in water.

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

tony1982
Building a Reputation

Good call on the bricks to add height. I was planning to dig some blocks into the soil to raise it up slightly and give me a level foundation. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tony1982,

As @Jason has mentioned, our Special Orders team can place an order for something similar to the ANL Basalt 100-150mm cage

I would suggest making a Gabion cage with a front, back and sides to the desired thickness. That way, there is no need to use a backing board. You can use mesh panels cut to size and galvanised tie wire to hold the cage together. You'll then be free to build your bench structure around it. Once the bench is built, you can attach the cage to the base with Whites Mesh Panel Galvanised Fixing Clips

I look forward to following along with your project, and please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

tony1982
Building a Reputation

Just an update on this project. Turned out pretty nice in the end. Far from prefect but will be a nice area to sit and have a fire in the colder months. 

20210319_100049.jpg

20210424_145917.jpg

20210425_145648.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That looks amazing, @tony1982! You've incorporated the gabion cages extremely well, and I love the overall design you've gone with. I trust it will serve you well for many nights under the stars by the warmth of the fire.

Did you have any photos during the construction stage? I'm sure our members would be intrigued to see how the frame went together.

Well done, and many thanks for sharing your inspirational project.

Mitchell

Hello @tony1982 

That is an excellent looking seat! Plus you've incorporated all the elements that you wanted in to the build. I see you already have a captive audience and I'm sure there will be many nights of marshmallow cooking! I definitely would have voted for your build to be posted as a feature project. Looking forward to your future diy projects.

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects