Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Gabion wall bench seat build project

tony1982
Building a Reputation

Gabion wall bench seat build project

Hi team

Looking to build some bench seats for a fire pit area and like the look of loose rocks under the seat. Similar to the pic below but with a back rest on the bench.

Also I will be framing out the bench with treated pine and cladding in deck boards. I only want the rocks at the front as a decorative thing so won't need a large volume of rocks to fill a full Gabion cage (actually thinking of cutting down some steel fencing to use as the mesh).

Any suggestions on where I can buy rocks like these? Do @Bunnings sell them? Or would I need to visit a local landscape supplier? Gabion rocks.PNG

tony1982
Building a Reputation

Re: Where to purchase rocks for Gabion wall bench seat?

Hi @MitchellMc 

Apologies for the delay.

I didn't actually take a lot of photos during constructions which is unlike me! Frame is built from H3 treated pine, screwed together. The deck boards are from the reclamation yard, not sure of the species but some kind of red Australian hardwood.

The cage is a simple box construction, with some wire "u-nailed" to the front and then the rocks dropped in from above before I clad with the deck boards.

Any other questions please shout

A.jpgB.jpgC.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @tony1982,

Many thanks for the additional images of the construction. They will really benefit any of our members that wish to build their own version of your inspirational project.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RDBuild
Growing in Experience

I agree with Mitchell, looks amazing.  Would love the build specs etc and photo's of the build if any.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects