Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Gate spring to ensure closure

Chris_T
Having an Impact

Gate spring to ensure closure

Hiya

I'm wanting to install a gate spring on this gate to my garden that comes in from the driveway. It's the only thing between my dog and the main road, and there's been a few occasions where people haven't closed the gate properly and it ends up being left ajar, and gets blown open by the wind.

So I want to install a gate spring. And despite an extensive Google search, I cannot find information about what sort of gate spring I should buy. There seem to be a bunch of sizes, but no real reasons why I would choose a longer vs shorter spring. 

I've attached an image. It's not a particularly heavy or wide gate (which I'm assuming is relevant to the spring length).

Thanks

Chris

IMG_7196 copy.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Gate spring to ensure closure

Hello @Chris_T

Thank you for sharing your question about gate springs. Looking at your setup, I recommend using the Pinnacle 300mm Zinc Plated Coil Gate Spring. The 300mm length will provide more flexibility and not put a great deal of stress on the screw mountings versus the 200mm short length. I suggest mounting one end to the steel gate frame using Buildex Ripple Zip C4 HexHead Screws 10g x 25mm Bx100. Please remember not to put too much tension on the spring to avoid stressing the assembly. It looks like an interesting upgrade to your existing gate. Any updates you can provide while installing the spring would be much appreciated.

Let me tag our experienced members @r23on and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

hi @Chris_T

Frankly I would not go past the suggestion given by Eric 

Chris_T
Having an Impact

Awesome! Thanks @EricL & @r23on ! Will document and report back!

Chris_T
Having an Impact

Hi

So here's the spring installed. Very straightforward 15 minute job - 2 screws, quick tension adjustment and now I've got a self-closing gate! Thanks @EricL & @r23on !

Cheers

Chris

IMG_7291 copy.jpg    IMG_7292 copy.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for the update, @Chris_T and excellent work. I'm sure @Eric_L and @r23on will be pleased to hear that you've successfully installed the spring.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects