Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help! Filling in gaps of concrete pavement

Lolly
Getting Established

Help! Filling in gaps of concrete pavement

Hello - I need your assistance in finding the right product to fill my paver gaps! 

My question is - can I just buy a dry mix and sweep it into the gaps and then just spray with water?  I have a tiny area so I didn't want to hire a Vibrate plate machine 

I was thinking of Dingo Hi-Strength concrete but I see that it is usually mixed in wet which won't work - need some urgent advice!! :smile: thank you everyone!!! see images attachePavement.JPGpavement2.JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Help! Filling in gaps of concrete pavement

Hi @Lolly,

I would recommend you check out the excellent step-by-step guide How to lay paving for a path by @Adam_W.

Adam recommends using Sydney or washed beach sand for brooming in. The guide includes a helpful video.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Lolly
Getting Established

Thanks so much Jason for your recommendation and also the video - it is very helpful.

However, Im not keen on sand as this is what was there previously and it has gone :unhappy: therefore the need for cement - do you think i can sweep dry mix cerment and then hose lightly?

Appreciate your assistance 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Lolly,

The reason why cement isn't recommended is that your pavers move independently of each other. If you were to put cement between the pavers it would inevitably crack. This is not to say you can't do that but it is not recommended.

If you wanted to use cement, mix it up and then use a trowel to push it down into the gaps. Your method of sweeping in dry cement and wetting might work though I am unsure of how well.

I would advise you to use a product specifically designed for this purpose. You have a couple of options and both of these work quite well: Dingo 20kg Powerloc Paving Sand and Adelaide Brighton Cement 20kg DryPak Pave Set. These products are swept into the gaps and water is applied which activates the polymers and gelling agents to set them in place. 

Please let me know if you need further advice or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects