Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How I made steps for my frontyard

bthederan
Building a Reputation

How I made steps for my frontyard

Frontyard Timber Steps and garden makeover.

Relatively steep slope, was difficult to mow lawn. Had quotes for concrete steps which were astronomical. 

I decided to try my hand at steps and the project evolved from there. Used 75mm sienna sleepers from Bunnings for longevity and strength. 

E80D36FC-BBA6-461B-9925-6531660ED0A0.jpeg

1AEAE15C-B522-47C0-8464-BBD7E56D79F8.jpeg

A2A2737E-4F37-468B-B000-72B66E19C35B.jpeg

A1FE6711-191A-4E3C-A871-1BF0CC714FF8.jpeg

042343CF-ACEB-4003-981D-1E14CE579FB2.jpeg

9E105CD1-2524-44A0-BA17-AFFCC33DD48C.jpeg

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Re: How I made steps for my frontyard

Hello bthederan and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community..

Your project is very exciting and beautifully done.. I'm sure many people will be interested to know more about it..

We wish you every success with your entry..

Prof

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @bthederan

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's amazing to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your front yard steps project.

This is a fantastic D.I.Y. steps project, I've been waiting for a member to actually build one as it is one of the best solutions to a steep hill in your garden. I hope you don't mind, but I do have some assembly questions I would like to ask. 

Did you build your steps to a formula or did you just base it on the slope and extended the steps as needed? Did you build the step frame first and anchored each frame to the following frame going up? Did you dig out the inside of the steps and filled it with cement or did you just put pavers in them? This project will definitely be included in my bookmarks. 

Any other information you can share while building the steps would be very much appreciated.

Again, thank you for sharing your front yard steps project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bthederan
Building a Reputation

I measured the slope and worked on the basis of 200mm sleepers as the height of each tread. Each step has approximately the same depth, so a formula was followed. The last step only has a height of 100mm as it needed to butt up against the concrete platform. That sleeper was attached to the concrete by 8mm masonry bolts. 
I dug each step out and worked from the bottom up, anchoring each step with 10mm steel rio to a depth of 400mm. I built each step directly onto the ground without pre-assembly. The steps were then filled and compacted with crusher dust and granite pavers. No concrete was used at all. 
The whole project was finished off with Cabots Aquadeck. 

Baretta11
Becoming a Leader

@bthederan 

I love what you have done, looks stunning and good on you for having a go.

No more mowing and with a few plants strategically placed it looks fabulous.3

Well done.

Cheers,

Barbara

Tweetyoz
Growing in Experience

@bthederan 

Your steps look amazing! It looks like you made a series of 'U' shapes from timber. Did you level the first one off, then lay the next 'U' towards the back of the first, then cut out the dirt around to level it off and then work your way up?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Tweetyoz 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us.

Let me tag @bthederan to make sure they are aware of your kind words and questions. Looking at the progression of the photos, it looks like they started off with the bottom step and worked their way up to the concrete walkway. My best suggestion is to use a builder's line so that you can properly estimate the angle of the stairs.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Ammy
Getting Established

Look amazing great to see this such a inspiration 👍🏻 please advise me if can update my front yard slop into steps like yours those 2m wide taps are in middle aprox height will be 660

IMG_4642.jpeg

if steps move on side from tap then it can possible to do it like that please check pic 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Ammy 

It might be possible to do some steps, but because your slope is not that steep you will not get as many steps like @bthederan front yard. I suggest doing some measurements first and see how many steps will fit in your slope.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Ammy
Getting Established

Thank you Eric L my front yard

slop will be 5.2 m down from top of concrete to top of walk path high will be 670 mm & width is 2.2m what will be depth and raise of steps if doing 5 or  thank you

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects