Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I deal with this rusted steel pillar?

Thoo
Getting Established

How do I deal with this rusted steel pillar?

Hi team,

New to the community so hoping I'm posting this correctly. Seeking some advice on how to best deal with this rusted pillar (see images). There's not only surface rust but also pitting along the metal, so I presume at least stage 2 rust, if not stage 3. 

I've initially tried Evapo-Rust Rust Remover which didn't work much at all, and recently tried Bondall Ranex Rustbuster Rust Converter. Parts of it did turn black (Iron phosphate) but still has some orange/red (iron oxide) showing through.

I'm hoping to remove the rust and then repaint the metal to match the original colour.

Any advice would be welcome! 

20230204_074212.jpg

20230204_074218.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I deal with this rusted steel pillar?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Thoo. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about treating rust.

The walls of your post are likely 3mm plus thick, so the current rust does not look like it's at a stage that could structurally compromise the post. It's good to see you're putting actions in place now to resolve the issue. 

The post is rusting from the ground up, as there is likely water pooling around the base. Typically if you are concreting a post into the ground, you'll need to taper the top of the footing, so the water runs off and away from the post. 

The best way to address this issue is to remove as much rust as possible with sandpaper and a wire wheel. It doesn't need to be spotless, but you need to remove any loose rust. Once you've removed the surface rust, you can treat the area with either of the two products you tried previously. Next, and most importantly, you need to seal the area, which it doesn't look like you've done. If you don't seal the area from moisture, it will continue to rust, no matter what treatment you use. I suggest applying White Knight Rust Guard 400g Grey SLS Etch Primer Spray Paint, and then when it's dry, White Knight Rust Guard 310g Gloss Classic Cream Epoxy Enamel Spray Paint or White Knight Rust Guard 310g Gloss White Epoxy Enamel Spray Paint depending on the colour of your post.

Sealing the area from moisture is the most important step. Without moisture, the rust can not continue eating away at the metal.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Thoo
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell, that's very helpful. 

I will follow the steps as you've advised.

In terms of sealing, I have a friend who can give me this spray paint  https://www.bunnings.com.au/dulux-300g-metalshield-multipurpose-spray-paint-classic-cream_p1400653 and the colour is apparently matching. Will this work in replacement of the enamel spray paint that you've suggested? I presume I will still need a primer spray paint, which I found a matching Metalshield Etch Primer (https://www.bunnings.com.au/dulux-300g-metalshield-etch-primer-spraypak-light-grey_p1400935), if that works?

Thoo

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's perfectly fine to use @Thoo. It's not quite as hard-wearing as an epoxy product, but it will be suitable for your purposes.

Mitchell

Hi @Thoo and @MitchellMc can I also suggest using a rust converter after the wire wheel and sand paper like the following product Rust Converter as this will treat any bits you may miss.

Follow the instructions and wipe clean after applying before adding an etch primer or zinc coat before your epoxy colour.

Thoo
Getting Established

Thanks MitchellMc and CSParnell!

Worked like it intended. The beam looks good now 

Could we trouble you for an update image @Thoo? That would be really beneficial to any of our other members that come across this discussion. It's always great to see the finished result.

Well done!

Mitchell

Thoo
Getting Established

It's not perfect, but it will do for now and especially for a beginner like myself. 

After removing the rust, the surface of the steel pillar was uneven... but hopefully with it now being covered, it won't continue to deteriorate 

20231111_101115 (1).jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects