Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I fill gaps between house and patio pavers?

ellis
Growing in Experience

How do I fill gaps between house and patio pavers?

What can i use to fill gaps between my  house & patio pavers.The gaps were filled many years ago with silicon which has long perished.The gap itself is approx 2-3 mm wide & stretches around most of the house. Any assistance will be appreciated.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I fill gaps

Hello @ellis

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your patio pavers.

In order for us to give you a comprehensive recommendation, would it be possible for you to post a photo of the area in question? This will allow our members to assess its condition. We'll then be able to make suggestions on how to fill the gaps. Traditionally gaps between pavers were filled with a mixture of one bag of sand and one-quarter bag of white cement. These two ingredients are mixed in a wheelbarrow and spread on top of the pavers. A broom is usually used to push the mixture in between the pavers.

Once all the gaps have been filled the area is washed with water to activate the mix. It is vital that the garden hose sprayer be set to a mist setting, putting it onto jet or shower spray will wash out the mixture. I also suggest having a look at Paving Sand, Easy Mix Paver Bond Polymeric Sand is a blend of kiln-dried fine sand and a gelling agent formulated to create a cohesive joint between pavers. Once activated with water, the gelling agent causes the sand to clump together which makes it more difficult for ants to burrow and for weeds to take root.

Let me call on our experienced members @Yorky88 and @diy_hausdesigns for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ellis
Growing in Experience

Hello Eric, Thanks for your reply. I’ve taken a few photos as requested. The area looks even worse now than I previously thought! Hope your suggestion will rectify the problem. 

Thanks Ellisimage.jpgimage.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ellis

Thank you for posting those photos. My apologies for misunderstanding your setup. My recommendation was meant for pavers joined together to form a walkway. In this instance, I suggest using a mortar filler such as Selleys 440g Sandstone No More Gaps Bricks And Mortar Gap Filler. It's specifically formulated to bond with cement, mortar, render and fibre cement.

My number one tip is to fill the gap with Moroday 6mm x 5m White Gap Filler Rod so that when you apply the gap filler it will not sink to the bottom of the gap. I also recommend using a Pro Renovator 38mm Plastic Scraper to spread the filler evenly.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide:  

The techniques used are applicable to your current situation.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

ellis
Growing in Experience

Hello Eric

Thanks for your suggestions. I will post some photos when the work is completed.

Regards Ellis

BEG
Getting Established

508D1E7B-265B-4077-837C-6D94A171BA1A.png

Good morning Eric, I have the same issue with the house I have recently purchased the W.A.

I noticed with the Gap Filler Rod details, it states not for outdoor use. 

Under the circumstances, can it still be used?

Before I searched for a solution here, I was originally thinking of using rolls of Sika expanding foam, cut flush with the pavers. 

Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

65401D89-2ECD-46D9-8688-299FD105CEFC.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @BEG

Thanks for sharing your question about the gap filler rod. The reason I suggested using the gap filler rod is because you have greater control over its position compared to self-expanding foam. Once the filler rod is in place it is then covered over with a gap filler, its purpose is to prevent the gap filler from sinking in too far into the gap. Since the gap filler is rated for exterior use it in turn covers the filler rod and protects it from the elements.

In theory, you can use the Sika expanding foam, but it will be more difficult to position if you need it to sink into the gap and fill it with a gap filler. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

BEG
Getting Established

Thank you so much, Eric. As always a thorough explanation.

I have several issues with the house I purchased.

So I’ll be out and about over the festive season taking photos to include with my call for help!

Wishing you, the Bunnings Workshop staff and all the members a safe and relaxing Christmas.  🎅🏻  🎄 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

We'll be looking forward to those images @BEG and wishing you a Merry Christmas too! 🎄

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects