Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I fix the weather strip back on

Sally8
Growing in Experience

How do I fix the weather strip back on

Good Afternoon,

Please see pictures below.

I am planning on painting my laundry door.  No budget to replace it at the moment, but the weather strip at the bottom has come off and the bottom of the door is very weathered and I cannot screw the weather strip back on as the screw holes where it attached are a bit rotten.  Any tips of ideas on how I can re-attached it or suggestions on what to replace it with?  As you can see the gap under the door is quite wide.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

250215148_390554349416682_2908584634953247832_n (2).jpg

250018576_699664894328228_2218248648727458186_n.jpg249792085_912025046359855_7619121460130479552_n.jpg249474685_244374377673058_4371512937800254439_n (2).jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I fix the weather strip back on

Hello @Sally8

Thank you for sharing your question about how to fix your weatherstrip back onto your door.

If you are currently gathering funds for a door replacement, you can do this interim repair to keep your current door going. 

• Clean the area with a brush and make sure that there is no residual dust left by using a vacuum. 
  • Paint the timber panel with the Taubmans Exterior Paint.

Once everything is attached make sure to test that the seal is working correctly. I've placed some images below to give you an idea of how to build it. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to post them.

Let me tag our experienced members @JoeAzza and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Sall8 door1.jpgSall8 door2.jpgSall8 door3.jpg

Here is also a handy video on how to install the Raven RP3 : 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

@Sally8 if funds are currently low, as a quick repair, you can insert timber plugs in the existing screws holes, you could use wooden toothpicks, match sticks or make your own splinter pieces to fit, I usually dip them in a timber glue then tap them into the existing holes in the door, any overhang, trim off with a Stanley knife or similar, then once the glue has dried, sand and fill the area with a suitable exterior timber filler, paint when dry, reinstall the weather strip.

Sally8
Growing in Experience

Thank  you so much Eric - this is such helpful advice.

Sally8
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the great advice Joe, I will have a closer look at the bottom of the door and hopefully give what you suggested a try.  If the door is too far gone for that I can implement Erics advice - thank you for taking the time to respond.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects