Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I go about building stud columns with blueboard fixing?

lerajm
Finding My Feet

How do I go about building stud columns with blueboard fixing?

I want to  enhance the front verandah with posts, that can be rendered.

I have existing 75mm steel posts, and am considering using steel studs to have columns about 1.5  bricks wide (340mm)

How should I go about this?Front of House Idea.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I go about building stud columns with blueboard fixing?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @lerajm. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

Were there some steel studs you had seen that would allow you to convert a 75mm post into a 340mm wide column? You might find you'll need to build the structure out of timber to achieve your desired width. You could then fix Hume Prima 2440 x 1200 x 7.5mm Blueboard onto the frame and use render trim for the corners. 

Alternatively, you could construct the columns out of bricks and render those instead.

Let me mention a few handy members @Brad, @Stuardo, @JDE, @diy_hausdesigns to see if they had any advice on creating fibre cement columns. You might also like to include some pictures of the posts in question so our members have a better idea of what you are working with.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

There is Knauf  products that make steel studs and track. The track is fixed with the studs being a friction fit, it could work if the post is suitable as a corner to use 2 pieces of track and 3 studs or if you need to build around the post you can use 4 studs. It is classed as non structural which is fine given you have the post there already as the structural support.

Once we get a photo I may be able to do a sketch of how to work around it, I need to work on my drawing skills now I know a master architect...

Thanks Mitchell, and Brad.

I have done a plan which should give you an idea of the size of the project.

Note the Galvanized Posts are 65mm square, not 75 as previously mentioned.

Am I taking the right approach on this?

I was wondering if the Blueboard could be glued, rather than nailed or screwed, although I do have access to a gas nail gun, but wonder if it would penetrate the Blueboard?

With the 300mm blueboard, is it necessary to create a recessed edge, where there is no recess present?Square Grid Front.png What is a good way to do this?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lerajm,

Here's the James Hardie blue board product page with details about its application. You'll also find the installation guide with specifications on how to fix it and how to set corners. A nail gun can be used for fixing the blue board and the installation guide covers this also.

The recessed edges allow the corner pieces to be mounted flush with the boards surface and therefore concealed easier. You can use tape instead of corner pieces in the absence of the recessed edge but the tape does not give you as much protection to impacts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects