Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I keep the rain from coming in?

Niknaks
Finding My Feet

How do I keep the rain from coming in?

So my back door leads out into a covered entertainment area, however when it rains the wind blows it into the covered area drenching everything about 80% of the way to my backdoor.

Anyone have any tips or affordable ways to help prevent this? This also a rental property so some options aren't available.

Pictures included.

Thanks in advance.

Outdoor3.jpgOutdoor2.jpgOutdoor3.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I keep the rain from coming in?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Niknaks. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

You might like to take a look at our budget-friendly range of cafe blinds. If you speak to your landlord they could be interested in you improving the property. You should find this step-by-step tutorial helpful: How to install bistro blinds.

Alternatively, you could install some screening panels which would partially block the rain from entering. Fence posts could be used to hold them in position.

Let me mention some of our helpful D.I.Y. enthusiasts @diy_hausdesigns, @Walzz and @TedBear to see if they had some ideas.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I agree with the screens on posts idea if the landlord doesn't help to make it more livable. Interested to see what other ideas people have come up with to solve this type of issue.

Thank you for your reply, super helpful.

I've run into a little problem with the bistro blinds however, it's a great idea and I think it would look great but the pole that's in the center of the picture is the only other support pole besides the 2 corners. the distance between them is in excess of 3m (~4.6m each side) checking the Bunnings site, the marquee café blinds only go up to 3m max. I could get away with getting 3 of the 3m blinds but then I don't have any other support poles besides the central one.

Any suggestions you might have?

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

It sounds like you may need to put up a posts in front of the steel patio supports in order to anchor the blinds where they end. Alternatively you can get end pieces for most blinds... I haven't checked those you are considering... perhaps you could use 2x 2.1m blinds, giving 4.2 coverage then use 15cm ends to make up to 4.5 metres. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Niknaks,

All three blinds would be held up by fixings into the top horizontal rail. The two blinds on either end can be fixed into the vertical rails with the provided fittings. The three blinds would be joined together with zip joiners. The central blind doesn't actually need to be joined to vertical posts, that just stops them flapping around in the wind. As @TedBear has helpfully suggested since the central blind will be joined to the outside blinds and has a pole behind it I don't believe it actually needs additional supports.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects