Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I repair my outdoor chairs?

sol
Finding My Feet

How do I repair my outdoor chairs?

16329880449098779428984621713025.jpg

Can you please advise the best way to repair the armrests. Thanks

brendawebster44
Making a Splash

Re: How do I repair my outdoor chairs

I am a mere woman who has no idea but it should never have got so bad .  Lazy husband eh! . I am a firm lover of super glue for everything that needs fixing. After you have glued all the stray bits just get some outdoor material of your choice and make some arm rests with pockets for the cold ones.

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How do I repair my outdoor chairs?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sol and thanks for reaching out with your question. We'd be happy to help.

Let me tag @prettyliving, @LizzieCro and @EricL for their suggestions.

Is the damage just on one armrest or does it look similar on the other chairs too?

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sol

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about how to repair your outdoor chairs.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @brendawebster44. I would take her suggestion and just take it one step further. After you've glued all the loose strips back together, I recommend building a timber armrest that will protect your weaved chair from further damage. I've drawn an example below.

You may build it out of an 1800 x 450 x 18mm Clear Pine FJ Laminated Panel. The example I've placed only goes outside and is not fixed in any way so that you can remove it and give it a wash. Please have a look at the drawing and tell me what you think. If you wish to see it in another configuration, please let me know. I will be more than happy to re-draw it for you.

Let me tag our experienced members @woodenwookie and @woodalwaysworks for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

sol
Finding My Feet

Brilliant idea! Thank you so much.

sol
Finding My Feet

4 armrests for 2 chairs

LizzieCro
Making a Splash

I agree with Eric. This looks like the easiest solution really, if you intend keeping them. I certainly can't think of another option to repair them, so disguising the issue is easily the best.

sol
Finding My Feet

Hi all,

I want to share with you what I ended up doing. I feel proud of how I made my armchairs look. Let me know what you think.

IMG20230319162325.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That looks amazing, @sol!  The bare frame and webbing are such a great look. Who would have thought?!

Congrats on coming up with a creative solution to this issue; you've done a wonderful job.

Many thanks for sharing your results.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects