Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you build alfresco doors with privacy panels?

MariaB
Just Starting Out

How do you build alfresco doors with privacy panels?

Capture.PNG

I am looking for advice on how to install these panels as alfresco doors. 

What rollers do you use and do they need to be in a track or can they be connected somehow?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do you build alfresco doors with privacy panels?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MariaB. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

I haven't personally heard of anyone using these Matrix screen panels as alfresco doors before so you might be breaking new ground here.  How many panels were you thinking of using in this sliding arrangement? Since these are individual panels and not part of a preconfigured system you would have to move them independently on the sliders.

You might be able to use something similar to Cowdroy Quick Fix 2400mm Door Track Set which would allow two panels to move independently of each other. You would need to attach something that has a thickness to the top of the panel to enable the rollers to be screwed on. A piece of Woodhouse 62 x 19mm 5.4m H3 LOSP Weatherproof Pink Primed Treated Pine cut to size and painted black would accomplish that for you.

Let me mention the ever-helpful members @Brad and @redracer01 to see if they might like to offer their opinions.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Protector do make a set of 4 90Deg connectors to use with 50mm tubing to make doors and that would allow multiple panels to be joined, while their thinking is for a hinged door I think it could also fit rollers.

Matrix screens do grow and shrink with the changes in weather while the Protector screens are more stable along with being more expensive.

MariaB
Just Starting Out

Thanks Brad, I see what you mean with the Protector ones as they are aluminium there would be less movement but more expensive.  If the Matrix ones are framed with aluminium to hold them in place, would that make them sturdy enough?

Thanks Mitchell.  I require 3 panels, so 3 tracks.

Would it be easier to do as a bi-fold door?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@MariaB,

I believe trying to create a bi-fold door would add another layer of complexity once again. It's one thing to fix rollers to the top of the panel and have them slide in a track, but to create a concertina system with hinging and then also have them moving in a track would be another story.

You'll find alfresco doors, either in a sliding configuration or bi-fold, are normally a system you purchase together. It consists of the track system, frame and doors which have pre-installed guides, hinges and rollers attached to them. One of the main issues using the matrix panels for this is that there is no significant thickness to install rollers, hinges and guides on.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Hello @MariaB 

My only suggestion is to make sure the timber or aluminum you use is rated for outside use, along with the fittings, runners  and wheels you will be using. I suggest a timber size of 30 x 30 as a regular door is about 35mm to 40mm thick a display panel is about 3 to 4 mm thick, all joined together is about 36mm thick. Perfect for alfresco doors, please make sure the timer is treated and is rated for outside use. Because the panels are 1800 x 900 and 1200 x 2400 those will be the dictated size of your doors. After building the frame you can glue then screw it on to the door frame. Your choice of either sliding or folding doors. Good luck and stay safe.

Cheers,

Red

maria1.jpgmaria2.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects