Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you change from decking oil to a water based paint?

DianeTDoyle
Finding My Feet

How do you change from decking oil to a water based paint?

HI Brains Trust.

I have a bee hive which has a section of it covered with decking oil and the roof of it is coated with exterior water based paint. I wish to have it all repainted with a water based paint.

How do I remove or coat the decking oil from the bee box so it can be painted with a water based paint?

Please note there are no bees in the hive ... yet!

much appreciated!!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do you change from decking oil to a water based paint?

Hi @DianeTDoyle

In order to remove the decking oil on the panel, I suggest using Intergrain 1L UltraPrep Tannin And Oil Remover. It's used to lift old or weathered existing timber finishes and prepare timber for coating. It can also be used as a high strength cleaner. On new timber, it removes dirt, tannins, natural oils and other contaminants from the timber surface, preparing timber for coating. Please note that you'll need to apply several applications if the oil is deeply embedded in the timber.

Once the panel and beehive are dry, I suggest using Zinsser 1L Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Undercoat Primer Sealer Stain Blocker. This primer will block any residual oils and stains that may come through the timber. You can then use any exterior paint on the beehive.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to clean a deck ( The techniques used can be applied to the oiled panel. )

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your newly painted beehive.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects