Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How much clearance do I need for a low level deck?

th-DIYER
Growing in Experience

How much clearance do I need for a low level deck?

I’m looking out extended my front concrete patio to make a front deck for street appeal. My front yard is on a slope and know the further I build the deck out from the house the less clearance there is. I know ideally 200-250mm from the ground is best. I have researched and see many different decks around where some are built just above the grass (approx 50mm).

A couple options are narrower deck= more clearance; or digging out some of the grass to have the clearance but means I would have to build a small retaining wall maybe? 

Potential deck to cover front patio and extend in front of two windows on the left.Potential deck to cover front patio and extend in front of two windows on the left.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How much clearance do I need for a low level deck?

Many thanks for joining in the discussion @th-DIYER. We are looking forward to seeing your deck project take shape.

Let me tag a couple of very helpful members in @ProjectPete and @Adam_W who might like to kick off the discussion and share their experience with you. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @th-DIYER. I apologise for the delay in my reply.

It sounds like you are on the right track. You'll find many of the minimum clearance low-level decks are constructed from H4 timber which is suitable for contact with soil. If you were to construct the joists and bearers from H4 you could have less clearance. If you can use Ekodeck it would be beneficial as it is not affected by moisture, unlike timber products.

In any circumstance, to get the impact you are looking for there is a need to remove some soil. It's a bit hard to tell from the pictures but if you were to come out 1.5 meters from the house, you should be able to create a small D.I.Y. retaining wall to hold back the soil. Here's a helpful step-by-step D.I.Y. tutorial on How to build a timber retaining wall. We also have a range of cement block products which can be used for the same purpose.

Do you intend on having the deck to sit flush with the door sill and how far across the front of the house was it to extend?

Mitchell

th-DIYER
Growing in Experience

Hi @MitchellMc thanks for getting back to me. I’ve looked on the Bunnings website and don’t seem to come across H4 90 x45, only larger H4 and H3 90 x 45. 
my deck size roughly I’m looking at is 8m across front of the house and 2.5/3m out. 
i was intending to having the deck sit just under the door sill which current is an 80mm clearance. Any recommendations of what type of sub floor to build there? Also do I attach ledger boards around the edge of the concrete patio? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@th-DIYER,

Could we please trouble you to let us know your closest Bunnings store? That will assist Mitch in recommending timber for you.

Thanks,

Jason

th-DIYER
Growing in Experience

Hi @Jason  glendale NSW

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for that @th-DIYER.

Let me tag @MitchellMc for you so he can assist when he is back on the site tomorrow. Apologies for the delay but he deserves a day off every now and then!

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @th-DIYER,

You could utilise H3 90 x 45mm treated pine on that portion, however, after speaking with several timber manufacturers, H4 is not currently available in smaller sizes. H3 timber can be used on the remainder of the deck also, but likely will require you to remove sufficient soil to stop it being near to the ground. Depending on how much excavation you wish to carry out will determine what timber you need to use. Your local council should be able to advise the minimum clearance allowed to ground level if using H3 treated pine.

Mitchell

th-DIYER
Growing in Experience

Hi @MitchellMc @thanks for the feedback which is helpful. I’m think of going with:

Laying weed mat

Then some stone on top

and maybe even using a paint I stumbled on the workshop somewhere to seal and protect the timber.

then H3 90 x 45

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects